Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this 1954 Olds 88 when I stopped at Home Depot today. What struck me about is that it has the new B-body platform that Chevrolet moved to in 1955. I didn't realize that another division had the jump on Chevy. Not sure when Buick and Pontiac went to the new platform. But I found it interesting that Olds had it before Chevrolet.

Of course, as I think about it, that's really not that rare. Chevy was the last division to ditch the RWD g-body Monte Carlo and go to the w-body Lumina back in 1989.

Anyway, I thought this was worth sharing. BTW, if anyone is interested, it's for sale here in Plano. Also note that it has shackles on the rear springs jacking it up a bit. I suppose that's to compensate for worn springs, but it throws off the stance some.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oldsmobile was GM's experimental division or guinea pig. Some things were chrome plating, automatic aka safety transmission, inflatable restraint as early as 1974 and on board DVD player.

I grew up in and around the Lansing area and still live in the area. At one time we had 5 plants and 25K people employed. Now down to 2 plants plus a parts warehouse and 5k employees.

My dad and uncle both worked for Oldsmobile. I have two Oldsmobiles and I am a master judge for the Oldsmobile club of america.

GM in the fifties had 65 percent of the market share. Now it's 22. They killed 5 divisions over total stupidity. And continue the same routine of hiring dog food and soap people! Why not car people that have some passion and knowledge.

Pat

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
For years, my father bought new Oldsmobile’s. I learned to drive with my father’s Oldsmobile Delta 88, with the 425 CID “Rocket V-8”. The cars used for my school’s mandatory driver education training were full-size Pontiacs. I still have fond memories of a variety of Oldsmobiles my father owned, including a Toronado.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I saw this 1954 Olds 88 when I stopped at Home Depot today. What struck me about is that it has the new B-body platform that Chevrolet moved to in 1955. I didn't realize that another division had the jump on Chevy. Not sure when Buick and Pontiac went to the new platform. But I found it interesting that Olds had it before Chevrolet.

Of course, as I think about it, that's really not that rare. Chevy was the last division to ditch the RWD g-body Monte Carlo and go to the w-body Lumina back in 1989.

Anyway, I thought this was worth sharing. BTW, if anyone is interested, it's for sale here in Plano. Also note that it has shackles on the rear springs jacking it up a bit. I suppose that's to compensate for worn springs, but it throws off the stance some.

Doug

Not interested in buying but is that Plano IL?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts