Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... I'm new on here and I have a 2012 Chevy Imapla LTZ that has 18in alloy wheels with tire size P235/50R18.

I'm looking to get 16in steel rims for winter, smaller tires, and possibly use them for all season driving.

I don't know much about this stuff so that is why I am asking. I've looked around on here and online but not quite sure what I would need to get.

I need help with what kind of 16in steel rims I can get and what size tire I can put on those steel rims so everything functions properly.

This is my thought basically on the steel rims so far:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2012,impala,3.6l+v6,1505649,wheel,wheel,7644

--->I'm looking at the 16in Dorman rims on RockAuto.

Does the bolt pattern diameter matter for my car with these steel rims (114.3mm vs 115mm or will either one work)

For tire size, this is what I came up with based on looking around:
1. 205/70R16 (based on this and it says equal: https://tiresize.com/tires/Chevrolet/Impala/2012/LTZ/ )

2. 215/65R16
3. 205/65R16
4. 195/75R16
5. I think I may have even seen 225 something

So are any of those size tires acceptable on the rims I'm considering on getting?

I also understand that I would need to get new TPMS sensors, so any helpful information on this too would be nice, like brand I should get and where to get.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still looking for help

Looking online at different places, it seems my car uses the 115mm bolt pattern diameter, however when I go to sites for the steel wheels, some say the 115mm pattern won't fit my car. I then select the 114.3mm pattern for a steel wheel and it says that pattern fits.

Should I buy steel wheels with the 114.3mm bolt pattern diameter because a few different sites say those will fit over the 115mm pattern???

This is where I need some help. I don't want to have to buy spacers or adaptors or anything. Also, would you buy the steel wheels from a junkyard or just buy them new?

Should I just talk to service technicians at a Chevy dealership to see what they would say for the correct wheels??

I feel like some of the sites I've looked at are thinking I have a base 2012 Impala because some sites don't give me the option to select the LTZ trim. Not sure if there is a difference between the different trim options in relation to the bolt pattern diameter.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bolt pattern is more than likely not going to be an issue for you. The 114.3 vs 115 is negligible and a difference of nomenclature. The part about which I would be more concerned is potential wheel and tire clearance. The 8th gen Impalas call for different struts if the car is equipped with 18in wheels like your LTZ.

In addition to correct bolt pattern, it is important you get wheels with the correct offset/backspacing and wheel width in addition to your minus sizing of tires to make certain you get the correct outside overall diameter (also relevant for speedometer calibration).

Having formerly lived in the rust belt, I tended not to spend $ on things which would inevitably rust. Given that, I would go the salvage yard route for a set of steel wheels. My other option would be Ebay - you might luck out and find a suitable set from someplace south (e.g., no rust and conveniently shipped to your door instead of going to the pick-a-part in the snow).

Another option might be trying to find a set of crappy, corroded 18" rims and put some all-season or snows on them. I personally never felt going down in tire size improved my winter traction. I have always been a fan of large surface area for contact between tire and road/snow, etc.; it always seemed like tread depth and pattern (e.g., ability to shed snow) made more of a difference.

You could always search Craigslist for a smaller used tire/wheel and just try it on your car as a test as well.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting some steel wheels and tires and things seem to work fine for right now. I had also read about the offset and such but some answers I found said not to worry about that much.

I ended up picking up 16in x 6.5in steel rims from a local junkyard. They said it was the 115mm bolt pattern and they had came off of a 2010 (that's what they said. I am guessing it was a 2010 Impala.)

The tire size I ended up going with was P225/60R16. I went with this size because when Wal-mart looked at there device, it was within spec for them to put it on the car. I was going to go with P215/65R16, but it was out of spec on Wal-mart's device, so the only way I could have done it would be to just have them put the tires on the rims and come back another time to relearn the TPMS sensors.

I also bought 4 new TPMS sensors through Wal-mart when I had them put the tires on.

I know my speedometer is going to be off slightly now. The original diameter with my 18 in wheels with the original tire (P235/50/R18) was 27.3 inches according to some sites online. My new diameter with the 16 in wheels and new tires is supposedly 26.6 in. The width of the tire is slightly smaller too at 8.9in vs 9.3in.

Also, I did end up getting new lug nuts for the steel 16in wheels, because I plan to get the bolt on style hubcabs. These lug nuts had this specification: M12 x 1.5 external threading 19mm hex, 27.5mm length.

Here is the type of lug nuts I got: https://www.autozone.com/tire-repair-and-tire-wheel/wheel-nut/dorman-wheel-nut-611-109-1/2943_948294_38092_17495_142831

After leaving Walmart, and driving around (mostly home and back to the store), everything seemed fine. Didn't notice anything weird while driving, but only drove maybe 40mph at the fastest. Haven't done any highway driving (65-80mph) yet as of this post. Turns I made seemed fine. Didn't notice any rubbing or anything.

I asked the Wal-mart technician if everything was good and he said everything worked and there wasn't any issues although it did take an hour for them to do.

The only thing I'm left wondering is what should I inflate these new tires to? Should I inflate to what is recommended for my 18in wheels/tires or figure out another good inflation psi???

Hopefully this thread/post can help other people because I literally spent a few days trying to figure out if everything would fit properly, and I don't know much about working on cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am thinking about doing the same thing on a 2008 Impala LTZ. the stock size OEM wheels and tires are 235/50R18. 235 is the tread width and 50 is the aspect ratio of the tread width to the height if I got that right. The rims as you know are 18 inches.

Anyhow what I am looking at is the size they put on police cars. They use steel wheels as you probably know. The tires are 225/60VR16 and these tires are so close to the circumference to the OEM tires that it will make no difference to the speedometer. (I found this online, I didn't write it down, but it really is so close its almost the same.) 225 is the tread width and 60 is the aspect ratio, V in this case is a speed rating because it is a police car, and of course it is higher than what they put on normal cars. They probably cost more and you could put them on a normal car if you wanted to. Then 16 inches, of course, is the tire size.

Now I think I remember that the 235 and 225 numbers are the tread widths in millimeters.

I know that 235/50R18 and 225/60VR16 are the two correct tires for the two cars. Maybe others can chime in here if any of this needs cleared up.

One more thing, I thought about buying the steel wheels just like the ones on the police cars but I don't want o deal with those 3 pain in the butt screws that hold the centerpieces in place. I had them on a Ford pickup and they were trouble. After you buy the steel rims and center piece little hubcaps the total cost is getting up to where the cost for alloy rims similiar to what is on an Impala LT. Now alloy rims can be a pain when corrosion sets in and causes air to leak out. I am having that problem. The low profile 18 inchers also have less air in them to begin with than the higher profile tires. This is one of those deals where you make a choice and pay the price for it. hope this all helps. When you find wheels, even on Ebay, they will tell you which years the wheels fit and the sizes for models of Impalas have been the same for years. Wheels will fit more than a few years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tires are 225/60VR16 and these tires are so close to the circumference to the OEM tires that it will make no difference to the speedometer. (I found this online, I didn't write it down, but it really is so close its almost the same.)
The speedometer will get off slightly when you get higher in speed. This is where I got my information from:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Set size 1 to OEM size (235/50R18) and size 2 to new size (225/60R16).

The diameter is slightly smaller. That website can also be used to see other size tires that will fit a certain wheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The speedometer will get off slightly when you get higher in speed. This is where I got my information from:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Set size 1 to OEM size (235/50R18) and size 2 to new size (225/60R16).

The diameter is slightly smaller. That website can also be used to see other size tires that will fit a certain wheel.
Hi Ultradragon313
Because of you posting the tiresize.com site I found out that my reference information was not entirely correct. I am thinking about buying new allow wheels, 16 inch size, and I think that 235//60R16 would be a better size tire to use. The 18 inch 235s are 27.3 inches in diameter and the 16 inch 235s are 27.1 inches in diameter, which is closer than the 16 inch 225s. One thing I don't see for the 16 inch wheels I am looking at is the company doesn't give the wheel width. I need to investigate than. I tried to do this post days ago but it vanished on me. Now it looks like you helped me more than I helped you. Tires are a lot more complicated now than when I started driving. I want to change because I am not fond of low profile tires. Thanks again for the website.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts