Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Impala SS. I swapped out my pulley and I installed a 3.4 inch pulley with new gator back belt. I also have a k&n intake. Now I heard that if you drop your pulley size you must get a 180 Degree Thermostat. Now my car comes stock with 180 stat and my oil temp and engine temp runs perfect. I don't see anything wrong? Does anyone know if I should get the stat or no? Then lastly spark plugs. They recommended me to get Autolite 103's...any suggestions of what I should do or even what else I should purchase...

-Thanks

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I run AL103s, they're colder than the stock GM thats why guys run them, smaller pulley likes colder plugs, id get more into it, but getting ready to leave for MI GM Event

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I run AL103s, they're colder than the stock GM thats why guys run them, smaller pulley likes colder plugs,
Where the hell does that come from? Please stay away from whatever you are drinking, and don't believe everything your buddies tell you.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Where the hell does that come from? Please stay away from whatever you are drinking, and don't believe everything your buddies tell you.
ok so on a boosted engine you dont want to run a colder pulg? Dont higher temp plugs inginte later (higher temps) possibly causing Detonation? I guess scans where i ran a stock plug (AL606 IIRC) v/s the AL103 and had 3-4* more KR are insignificant? I guess you wouldnt recommend playing w/ gapping either?

good read on plugs
http://www.oqcgp.com/forum/kb.php?mode=article&k=50

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I have tried 2 different "performance plugs" in my factory original stock 305. These are my findings.
1) No milage increase.
2) No performance increase, performance was worse-see 3 & 4.
3) Idleing was bad.
4) Engine had momentary hesitation when applying the accelerator.

Put the AC Delco plugs in and idleing was smooth, and the hesitation disaperd.

A friend of mine whom use to work for for a GM dealership had customers come to the shop just after doing their own tune up and said the car was not running correctly. Since the customer had done their own tune up the technitions would pull a spark plug wire and see what plugs the owner had put in there. 9 out of 10 times the tech's would replace the plugs with the proper AC Delcos and the engine problems were gone.

·
Registered
358 Posts
im with u 04detroit, ill be putting colder plugs & t-stat when i drop my pulley so i dont get detonation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts