Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im back in the market again now that gm has money back on the impalas. Still same choice of Silver on black or Black on black. 2LTZ

In stock they have Gold, some strange light blue / teal?, and black...

So the questions are this,

1) how the does side door trim come off.. It looks like only the LTZ get the big chrome strip down the front door and half the rear door... Im assuming its
3M tape. Also has anyone painted those or replaced them with something like it thats painted the color of the car.. I hate the chrome, but at the same time thats probably the correct height to help with A hole drives who give you door dings... So im thinking paint them, or find some that are already painted.

2) Mirror caps, that chrome needs to go, i see they sale the "caps" so im assuming it some how snaps on?

3) Window time, does this brushed stainless come off or is it some how built into the door... At first i was thinking paint it all black to but after photo shopping thats a lot of black.. so maybe try some tinted clear to see if i can pull off that black chrome look....

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i saw those... but the dealer does not have one, the way the " cash" was explained it has to be in dealer stock...

but thats sorta what i was thinking, that removes the chrome on the door, or they have painted it... hard to tell from the on line photos...

·
Registered
605 Posts
yea i saw those... but the dealer does not have one, the way the " cash" was explained it has to be in dealer stock...

but thats sorta what i was thinking, that removes the chrome on the door, or they have painted it... hard to tell from the on line photos...
I saw that too, the cash incentive is to clear out in stock cars on the lot.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Im back in the market again now that gm has money back on the impalas. Still same choice of Silver on black or Black on black. 2LTZ

In stock they have Gold, some strange light blue / teal?, and black...

So the questions are this,

1) how the does side door trim come off.. It looks like only the LTZ get the big chrome strip down the front door and half the rear door... Im assuming its
3M tape. Also has anyone painted those or replaced them with something like it thats painted the color of the car.. I hate the chrome, but at the same time thats probably the correct height to help with A hole drives who give you door dings... So im thinking paint them, or find some that are already painted.

2) Mirror caps, that chrome needs to go, i see they sale the "caps" so im assuming it some how snaps on?

3) Window time, does this brushed stainless come off or is it some how built into the door... At first i was thinking paint it all black to but after photo shopping thats a lot of black.. so maybe try some tinted clear to see if i can pull off that black chrome look....

The four side door mouldings on the Impala LTZ (2014-2016) are held to the door with clips from the inside. The doors have holes in them and studs on the mouldings go through the door.

The window frame trim is not brushed stainless - but rather aluminum trim.

I do not know if the chrome outside mirrow caps can be easily removed.

Why would you buy a new car and remove so much of the factory trim? Why wouldn't you buy another car that you like? (I own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ with nothing modified).

·
Registered
151 Posts
None of that stuff is easily removed, and the mirrors have covers, so you'd need the color that you wanted to replace it. I had most of that stuff wrapped in matte black.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Damn, if the chrome side moldings were just stuck on with 3m tape I'd pay you for them if you could get em off with no damage. I want some on mine, I think they look good.
I'd also love the spoiler and fog lights. I don't blame you for wanting those chrome mirror caps taken off though.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Damn, if the chrome side moldings were just stuck on with 3m tape I'd pay you for them if you could get em off with no damage. I want some on mine, I think they look good.
I'd also love the spoiler and fog lights. I don't blame you for wanting those chrome mirror caps taken off though.

The 2014 - 2016 Impala (not the Limited....) does not offer fog lights.

The spoiler can be purchased painted (most colors) through your dealer and installed. It requires drilling holes through the trunk lid.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The 2014 - 2016 Impala (not the Limited....) does not offer fog lights.

The spoiler can be purchased painted (most colors) through your dealer and installed. It requires drilling holes through the trunk lid.
Yea I guess I should have said daytime running lights instead. As for the spoiler I'd rather someone else put it on for me. I'm not too keen on drilling holes into it myself.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good info guys.

I dont like chrome, never have and you can get one with out it.. seems like ever car manufacture wants to have the bling bling rapper look...

on a side note, anyone seen a car with the black chrome wheels installed?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Chrome was around and in use LONG before rap!! :) Chrome is very classy looking when done in moderation. I mainly like it for wheels, exhaust tips and other small accents.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree Jtrosky. Maybe I am old fashioned but I am looking at getting new CHROME wheels in the spring for my 15 LTZ :eek:k3: KERR: Detroit wheel and tire has the black chrome and bright chrome 19s and 20s you can exchange your wheels for there's that's prob where I will get mine.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Yeah, I looked into those "exchanges" for my 2012, but DAMN are they expensive!! That and I was worried that they would deteriorate quickly with the snow and salt used here in the winter.

I ended up just buying a set of Dodge Charger wheels and used Chrome "skins" to make them look like chrome! I LOVE the result. Not only are they winter-proof and VERY easy to clean, but you can also replace all (4) "chrome" skins for $60-$100 if needed (curb rash, etc). They also have black "skins" for these particular wheels (which are really gray) - but I, of course, much prefer the chrome skins....

in the end, I spent a total of $500 for the wheels and wheel skins and am VERY happy with the result.

I'm sure everyone has seen them multiple times, but I'll post another pic anyway!

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw there stuff listed on e bay, on the black chrome exchange for wheels though some look a lot darker.. I have never seen anyone pull it off... One of those photo's is shows the 18's on a ashen gray but the wheels look more gray than black...

Then i think dodge did the black chrome hub caps on the cuda a few years ago...

In all honesty i think the bright silver impala would be easier to work with but the dealer only has base models in that, which is what i have now for the most part..

·
Registered
32 Posts
good info guys.

I dont like chrome, never have and you can get one with out it.. seems like ever car manufacture wants to have the bling bling rapper look...

on a side note, anyone seen a car with the black chrome wheels installed?
I had a 2006 Charger Daytona with Black chrome SRT8 wheels and it looked awesome. I have thought about going that route thru Detroit Wheel and Tire for my Impala as well. I attached a pic for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they look good in that photo, But the ones on line for sale some look like that which i could call a "light" tent and some look like dark version...

The next problem would be making the rest of the trim " a black chrome" ... Duplicolor makes a kit but its non removable, and if your like me the kids will never leave you alone to let do something and it would suck to mess up the trim or get that one the paint :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2010 Silverado Ext cab LT2 that I bought CPO with 11K miles with Chrome caps on the door handles, tail lights, cargo/brake light, and fender rims. Every piece of it has turned a rust brown and and I haven't been able to take off of anything but he door handles and fenders.
ALL of it is GM Accessory add on. I wouldn't give you 50 cents for it, but the original owner paid over $250 for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts