Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple request today guys, just rolled the 90k mark. I have some noise in the front brake/brakes and some odd texture on the rotor on the pass side. mechanically I am all the way to changing head gaskets on a vehicle so brakes are far from new.

My question is upgrades. usually I just go with the better pads and rotors I can find but I want to know if there is a front brake upgrade available like there is on my buick (16 inch wheels required for bigger calipers/rotors)

also, while I am in this thread can we also talk about what service y'all have done at the 90k or 100k mile marker. already looking at replacing the coolant, brake fluid(because of soft pedal) and ignition tune up just don't know what plugs y'all would recommend or are already using

Thanks have a good day or night!!

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Yes, there are larger rotors/pads that you can install.

See this thread for more details:

[ame]http://www.impalaforums.com/showthread.php?t=347658[/ame]

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Also, please check and change your trans fluid. It's a simple drain and fill procedure. 11mm socket on the trans pan, drain about 5 quarts, refill. Repeat again after driving several miles because it actually holds around 9 quarts. Do it every 30k miles or so if you want to be cautious with your transmission's life.

Coolant is an easy change. just a drain petcock on the passenger side of the rad. Holds around 9 quarts if I remember correctly.

I'd also like info on new plugs as I'm going to need to do mine sometime in the next year or so. Additionally, a guide on doing the brake fluid for the car would be helpful if it exists anywhere as that's one fluid I've never changed and I'm sure I'll need to in the next year or two.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, please check and change your trans fluid. It's a simple drain and fill procedure. 11mm socket on the trans pan, drain about 5 quarts, refill. Repeat again after driving several miles because it actually holds around 9 quarts. Do it every 30k miles or so if you want to be cautious with your transmission's life.

Coolant is an easy change. just a drain petcock on the passenger side of the rad. Holds around 9 quarts if I remember correctly.

I'd also like info on new plugs as I'm going to need to do mine sometime in the next year or so. Additionally, a guide on doing the brake fluid for the car would be helpful if it exists anywhere as that's one fluid I've never changed and I'm sure I'll need to in the next year or two.

I meant to mention the trans fluid as well. thanks!

brake fluid is easy, near the same process as bleeding but you start by using a device to remove most of the old fluid from the reservoir then replacing that with fresh fluid, then start the bleeding process until you get clean fluid at each wheel, topping the reservoir off as you go. done it that way a few times. make sure that you are able to open and close all bleeders before you start, then you can replace any bad bleeders when you are ready to bleed, minimize the fluid waste. I don't know how sensitive this car is to letting the reservoir run dry but some vehicles you can trap air in the abs module if you do requiring a scan tool to release it (ford specifically)

·
Registered
172 Posts
My trans fluid was dark brown and smelled burnt at 63k miles, so be sure to get your's done asap. For $22 a gallon of AC Delco Dexron VI on amazon, it's much more cost efficient to change it often than to get a new trans.

Does this device to remove most of the fluid have a name? or should I just use a siphon or turkey baster? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Cheap rotors, quality pads (ceramic) have always worked well for me. As for plugs, I'd recommend oem AC Delco or NGK. May check Rockauto online. For brake/ps fluid, I just empty both reservoirs with a cheap turkey baster and refill 1-2 times/yr. Eng./cabin (pollen) air filters, tranny fluid, coolant (Dexcool), oil/filter, tire rotation, etc....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My trans fluid was dark brown and smelled burnt at 63k miles, so be sure to get your's done asap. For $22 a gallon of AC Delco Dexron VI on amazon, it's much more cost efficient to change it often than to get a new trans.

Does this device to remove most of the fluid have a name? or should I just use a siphon or turkey baster? Thanks for the info!

nailed it lol. I couldn't be bothered to type it I guess.

the fluid looks "ready to be changed" no unusual odor or darker than "normal" just ready.

as far as the brake upgrade goes, these rotors developed the noise after two back to back close calls with deer, 75 mph to 0 then 65 back to 10mph (interstate hwy) without time for brake cooldown really. no shuddering just a noise. I just want the car to be able to stop hard without damaging its brake components. so far that makes four hard stops that I have put on them, two on the pre purchase test drive, then the damned deer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine developed a rotor shudder after multiple highway quick stops. So they definitely need some improvement. After the police package dust shield upgrade it's been alright for the last month or so. However, I have noticed a subtle pulse developing, so I will probably be doing the 12.7 inch upgrade in the next year or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts