Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a buddy of mine said he saw some pretty good gains on his engine performance by putting two bottles of NOS Octane Booster in his BMW. I wanted to beat him in a drag so I used 12. My engine is acting crazy now and idk what the deal is! HELP ME! ;) I'm kidding of course Haha I do have a question about launching the SS most effectively without it doing any more harm to the tranny than it has to. Being an automatic I usually just floor it lol does anyone have any launch tips w/out TC on or going from 2nd gear. Thought I'd shout out to the senior members before a Jr goes and tears his ride up Haha Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Best way is to practice. IMO the best launch involves NOT spinning your tire(s). Any time a tire spins it has lost traction and there fore it is loosing time. Traction Control ON/OFF is a personal choice. I have read where it hurts having it on and I have read where it hurts having it turned off. Again take the car out and practice, try it in different ways. See what best works for you and your car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not sure about the 5.3 SS model but my 3.9 LTZ launches better with TC on ... I know it sounds dumb, since once the tires break lose the RPMs drop, but from experience, I've noticed a better launch with it on.

My experiences:

- Quarter Mile drag from stop light against a 1969 Boss 302, TC on: Beat him on both launch and overall because his tires broke traction

- Quarter Mile drag from same stop light against '04 (?) Lancer EVO, TC off: Lost on launch (tires broke lose, and RPMs dropped still), lost by a wheel overall.

The thing I've noticed about our Impalas is that even with TC off, the car still wants to control wheel slip by lowering the RPMs.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Im pretty sure the only way to get the SS to work from a dead stop is drag radials i think.

I never could get mine to hook, half throttle, it spunn, nada to wide open, it spunn, Brake launched it spunn.

·
Registered
31 Posts
TC is a personal preference... I do know that throttle control and tire pressure are going to be the key to getting your car to stick a launch. !!!!WARNING!!!! This will destroy your transmission. Lower your tire pressure down to about 20-25 psi on the front. This will allow you get some good traction and the stock Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires are pretty good. I have Nitto NEOGENs on all four corners. After that it's just practice, practice and more practice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts