Impala Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, those of you that have done this. I have got all the bolts out of the TCM outer cover. Looks like disconnecting this one wire harness all that’s left before wiggling the cover out.

How do I get that connector off? Guessing the gray bar should flip to the right, but I can’t get it to move. Even with the little red piece out.

Any hints on that?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
You are correct. Remove the red tab and pull it right. Looks like you just got a bunch of dirt and grime stuck in it. I would recommend spraying it with brake cleaner in-between bouts of wiggling it back and forth. Such a pain in the ass when something that should be simple like this holds you up. Seems to be how it always goes for me too. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You are correct. Remove the red tab and pull it right. Looks like you just got a bunch of dirt and grime stuck in it. I would recommend spraying it with brake cleaner in-between bouts of wiggling it back and forth. Such a pain in the ass when something that should be simple like this holds you up. Seems to be how it always goes for me too. Good luck!
I ended up getting it. Red tab out, actually has to use a screwdriver on the left side to help pop it over the two little tan things that were on the right side. Then it went fine and disconnected.

But of a pain, but got it done. The number off bolts for the cover and the TCM part is one of the most frustrating. And I was half way through getting cover of abs finally decided to disconnect the ECM, remove that, move those wire harnesses out of the way. And probably should have removed that black fender support.

I did use the Sonnex kit with the install tools. Definitely recommend those tools. So simple, but made that part easier. 3 of the 4 discs were damaged/blown out on mine. And the metal are under the yellow discs on two were kind of scored. Cleaned that up, put the yellow discs back in, put the new plastic and then rubber seals in and reinstalled. Was time consuming, but not overly hard. Just had to keep going down for sockets that I dropped trying to undo (and redo) all the bolts.

Only have maybe 100 miles on it so far, but night and day difference. Cleared TCM adaptives and made sure no codes before driving. Give it a week or so and check it again. Have the stock tune in it right now. Still deciding if I will put the Trifecta tube back in.









Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. I remembered this was the first job I did after getting my battery powered Milwaukee ratchet. Those things are amazing to have in tight spots where you cant get much throw of a normal ratchet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Glad you got it sorted out. I remembered this was the first job I did after getting my battery powered Milwaukee ratchet. Those things are amazing to have in tight spots where you cant get much throw of a normal ratchet.
OMG!! I was so ready to go to the store and get something. Air or battery powered. Anything! So much turning and the bolts so long!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
  • Like
Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
3/8" I typically almost always go with Fuel stuff, but the head on the fuel was pretty massive. The non-Fuel is probably not as strong, and may not last as long, but it can get into tighter spots better, which is what it is mainly used for so, I went that route.
 
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Top