Impala Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a bunch of Catrol GTX Magnatec synthetic blend at a clearance price but dot sue if 10w is good for my car. And do you guys go by your cars suggested oil change. Mine say 10% oil life remaining. And how do they come up with that? Vodo? lol

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
In the future, it would help if you listed what type of car and what engine you have when asking for help like this. :)

Personally, I only use the manufacturer-recommend oil. But, depending on your weather, you *may* be able to get away with using 10w30 instead of 5w30. It's definitely not going to cause some major catastrophic failure or anything - but I'd be worry about long-term ramifications.

My recommendation would be to use what the manufacturer recommends.

I do NOT go by the Oil Life Monitor. I change my oil well before my oil life monitor gets to 10%. I usually change my oil at 5k mile intervals - which is usually around when my oil life monitor gets to 50%. I do this because direct-injected engines are known to be hard on oil - and the engine type in my car (3.6L LFX) had some timing-chain-stretch issues in it's past, which seemed to be directly related to oil change intervals that were too long. GM has since modified the oil life monitor "algorithm" so that it is more "accurate", but I still don't trust it. The Oil Life Monitor takes a lot of things into account - things like engine RPMs, multiple temperature sensors, trip lengths, etc) - it is NOT just mileage-based.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2011 Impala 3.9 with 65k. Right now I am at 10% and I just hit the 3000 mile mark since my last oil change. Dose that sound about right to you guys. Has Any of you guys sent a oil sample to black stone labs after the car got to 0%?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
a lot of people on the forums have stated they don't trust the vehicle built in oil change indicator. i personally have put 100k plus on my car and have just changed at 15k miles (mobile one full synthetic 15k mile oil and fram 12/15k mile filter), and at 8k miles (mobile one 15k mile oil with the same fram 12/15k mile filter, cant remember the mileage off the top of my head). depends on what you're comfortable with and your driving conditions.

to get 15k miles from an oil change i was an hour each way to/from work every day and mostly high way (really only did it for a year or two tops then changed jobs). now the 8k per change is 95% city driving.

i would encourage you to switch to full synthetic as it is a much better oil quality, and 3k on conventional oil would be due for a change.

but again, to each their own.

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just got a bunch of Catrol GTX Magnatec synthetic blend at a clearance price but dot sue if 10w is good for my car.
Cold/hot viscosity spreads from 5w to 10w is minor(typical cSt 100c around 4(5w) to 4.6(10w)

So using this oil is perfectly fine to use will hurt nothing. Not my first choice by any means I would stick with 5w30 or a 0w30.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Was gonna say you should be fine with 10w30. I put that in mine when I was in a crunch and needed oil. But when it came time to do an oil change I went back with the factory recommendation of 5w30.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
The 5w is about a minuscule warmup fuel economy gain 10w-30 isn't going to hurt anything, unless maybe you live somewhere that sees substantial time way below 0F.
At operating temperature it might even be thinner than another brand's 5w-30, as viscosities on the bottle are RANGES not exact measurements. Been awhile since I checked but at one time Amsoil 0w-30 was at the thick end of the range while M1 10w-30 was very thin and actually turned into 10w-20 with some use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts