Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that when I make a turn at low speed onto uneven ground (as turning into a driveway for example) occasionally there is a loud pop and clunk and I feel the brake pedal move against my foot if I am applying brakes at that time. I think that this is a known problem with Impalas and mine has been doing this only once in a while. Is this related to the intermediate steering shaft or some front suspension component? My warranty is running out in a few thousand miles and I would like to fix this problem, whatever it is. It is difficult to duplicate though, as it does not happen all the time.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Z71, please do send me a private message if you decide to involve your dealer at any point. Customer Service is always happy to step in and contact your dealership on your behalf or check for recalls, etc., that may be open on your Impala!

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Bowtie Sold Separately
50 Posts
I have noticed that when I make a turn at low speed onto uneven ground (as turning into a driveway for example) occasionally there is a loud pop and clunk and I feel the brake pedal move against my foot if I am applying brakes at that time. I think that this is a known problem with Impalas and mine has been doing this only once in a while. Is this related to the intermediate steering shaft or some front suspension component? My warranty is running out in a few thousand miles and I would like to fix this problem, whatever it is. It is difficult to duplicate though, as it does not happen all the time.

I had this same problem with my 09 LTZ when I bought it. I would feel that 'pop' when backing into my driveway, turning into parking lots and whatnot..only at certain angles, and never consistent. I took it back to the dealership to be fixed under warranty. The paperwork along with the explaination the service manager gave me, indicated that it was a body mount. They tightened it, and I haven't had the problem since.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had this same problem with my 09 LTZ when I bought it. I would feel that 'pop' when backing into my driveway, turning into parking lots and whatnot..only at certain angles, and never consistent. I took it back to the dealership to be fixed under warranty. The paperwork along with the explaination the service manager gave me, indicated that it was a body mount. They tightened it, and I haven't had the problem since.
Hope that helps.
Body mount? This is a unibody car, not a body on frame design. Maybe motor or transmission mount? Or something in the suspension? Do you still have the original paperwork to see what exactly they noted?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I would suspect the "body mount" being the engine/transmission cradle. I would torque down the front brake caliper bracket bolts, the engine cradle bolts and check the upper strut mounts. Also check your sway bar bushings and endlinks.

·
Bowtie Sold Separately
50 Posts
He referred to it as a body mount, and explained it as the cradle. Whatever junction the two form wasn't quite tight, allowing the cradle to flex inconsistently with the rest of the front end. I still have the paperwork, when its above freezing I can take a look at it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He referred to it as a body mount, and explained it as the cradle. Whatever junction the two form wasn't quite tight, allowing the cradle to flex inconsistently with the rest of the front end. I still have the paperwork, when its above freezing I can take a look at it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the cradle mount bolts for tightness yesterday and everything was tight. The only ones I did not check were two torx head bolts because I did not have the right size torx socket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts