Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 09 9c1 with the 3.9 and it has a low pitched whine that seems to be most prevalent when car is started and idling down also when i rev to about 2k rpm in park and as it falls it whines quite a bit. The whine also happens while driving, but is less noticeable over road noise (which is another issue i posted about in the wheel/tire section). The whine does not change when turning the wheel so i do not think it is power steering, also checked fluids and all check ok.

I am thinking it may be the alternator. Could the alternator cause a low whine? almost like a supercharger whine but lower pitched. it actually sounds most like a power steering pump whine, but turning wheels does not seem to make it worse, which is usually the symptom when it is power steering.

any ideas?

This is my 2nd impala, i owned a 1996 and loved the car... i was hoping to have a similar experience with this one, but seem to be having some kinks :(

many thanks!

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
check your serpentine belt for wear, cracking and such

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
Its the alternator. Had the same issue with the whine. Due to low voltage or over powering/working. Excessive load. Had the whine when I installed my sub system. Possible the bearing inside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its the alternator. Had the same issue with the whine. Due to low voltage or over powering/working. Excessive load. Had the whine when I installed my sub system. Possible the bearing inside.
Thank you! it makes perfect sense since this was a police car and had lots of equipment loading on the alt. I listened more closely to it today and definitely seems to be coming from the alternator.

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
Your welcome. If your going to buy an alternator. Try looking for and high volt output one or bigger amps than stock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts