Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been covered, and if so, I apologize.

I have been wanting to tune my PCM, but can't seem to find a tuner that advertises that it works for my specific year of car. I see lots of them for up to 2007 5.3L, but none that advertise that they work on the '08.
Am I going to have to resort to just having a shop do it for me, or does anybody know of a kit that will work on the '08 SS?

I talked to a guy at one local shop up here and they said that there were some significant differences between the 06-07 SS and the 08 with regard to the computer itself...?

Thanks... and if this is a repeat, just kick me a few times :devil:

-Barfly

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Diablo only works on 06. Not even 07. there is no hand held for the 07 + models. you need to send it out and get a custom tune like overkill.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roger that! Thanks TSS.

one more question... if i keep my stock one with default settings, and purchase another to get tuned, will GM be able to tell if have run the tuned pcm?
I have like 40K left on my warranty, but want more power. I thought i could run the tuned PCM, and if i needed any warranty work, just put the stock one back in, drive for a day or two, then take it in.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Lots of debate on that question. I used to use handheld tuners with no issues, but it seems that can be an issue now. As to a complete separate ECM, some say you are safe, some say the car also stores how many times the ECM has been pulled and replaced and also how long it has been in the car prior to being looked at. I have no idea, so I am playing it safe until my warranty expires.

G

·
0 Posts
I've heard that tuners leave traces behind.....so even if it does reset back to factory settings they can still see its been tampered with

These computers are some snitches

1 - 5 of 5 Posts