Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
not if you treat it right. dont be doing burnouts and all that madness and it should be ok. another thing to preserve the life of it would be to let it warm up first if you do plan on going a little hard on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was just researching my car on the internet, and i kept finding ppl who were mad bout there trannys going out soon. course it could be like he said, and thhey were goofin around doing crazy burnouts and stuff. but ya

·
Banned
351 Posts
As I understand it the transmission they used on the 8th gen SS's are pretty solid... they used an upgraded tranny (compared to the LTZ, LT1, LS) to handle all the torque.

·
Registered
9 Posts
another forum

I've also heard from another forum (forgive me I dont remember which one) that people were complaining about their 8th gen. tranny going out... some people were asking why GM did put in a more heavy duty tranny that can handle the hp/torque... I dont see how GM couldn't do that when producing a car and I dont know if those people were complaining and acting like they knew what they were talking about when they really didnt, since they were throwing tranny names around like a hot potatoe

·
Registered
6 Posts
SS Tranny

I just bought my 07 SS a couple of months ago. It had 66k on it. I asked my dealer to run a service log on the vin and found out the tranny was replaced at 55k. Before that, the converter, the computer, etc. Don't know if they were just guessing or what, but it runs good now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought my 07 SS a couple of months ago. It had 66k on it. I asked my dealer to run a service log on the vin and found out the tranny was replaced at 55k. Before that, the converter, the computer, etc. Don't know if they were just guessing or what, but it runs good now.
I wonder if your car had the same problem mine is having.

·
Registered
6 Posts
SS shutting down

I don't think so. It doesn't do it under accelleration and it doesn't shut everything down. Only in neutral. It's like a rev limiter. Go Boilers! I'm a Purdue grad. I live in Indy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think so. It doesn't do it under accelleration and it doesn't shut everything down. Only in neutral. It's like a rev limiter. Go Boilers! I'm a Purdue grad. I live in Indy.
I'm looking at possibly moving back to Indiana.

·
Registered
142 Posts
the first models, of the ss v8, 2006 had the most problems...my daughter has a 2006 monte ss v8 and tranny went out about 40,000 miles ,warranty was 36,000 miles ,on all the 2006 models... we complained to them, and they split half the cost with us .. now at 80,000 plus miles, no problems rkvette

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shift kit for my SS

the first models, of the ss v8, 2006 had the most problems...my daughter has a 2006 monte ss v8 and tranny went out about 40,000 miles ,warranty was 36,000 miles ,on all the 2006 models... we complained to them, and they split half the cost with us .. now at 80,000 plus miles, no problems rkvette
I'm getting ready to put in a ZZperformance shift kit. I've heard a lot about them. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
TRUE.....just over 65K, I couldn't believe it.....WAS PISSED!!! Really ruined my love for this car. They split the cost with me after I contacted GM.
Here's the punch line....I NEVER pushed this car....I'm 55 years old and I know how to care for a car, dont do burn outs and maintained the car like it was my first born. One of the first all white 06 Impala SS in my region. I am still pissed at Chevrolet because the 07 immediately came out with the 100K warranty - what a smack in the face. There again the rule applies "Never Go For The First Year's Run" let them work out the kinks. I'm wondering if the Corvettes have issues like this that are kept quiet. Otherwise this is still my favorite automobile.:cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
chevys are not the only brand to have problems !!! 2009 subaru blows its engine in auto-week magazine long termer testing, at 15,000 miles. i had a new 1990 ford taurus v6 that had a piston slap at 5,000 miles..ford replaced with a new crate engine,said some models were bored out to much ! bought my daughter a brand new 1992 ? ford probe/ of the first ones made ... motor was very noisy on start up!! ford said continue to drive it and we did, till it blew up, on cold christmas night... ford said heads were made in mexico, and oil holes were not large enough,was dual overhead cams v6 engine.. had only 2,000 miles on it.. also was hit by a snow plow, while at ford dealership lot , paint and panels never aligned up right.. daughter will never own a ford car again, she drives a 2006 chevy monte carlo ss v8 and she loves it with 86,000 miles .. i have owned some corvettes, and yet to blow a motor,or tranny, all sticks , maybe are stronger ? all corvettes from 2007 and up have the 100,000 warranty deal-that includes zo6/505 hp and zr1 with 638 hp.rkvette.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
chevys are not the only brand to have problems !!! 2009 subaru blows its engine in auto-week magazine long termer testing, at 15,000 miles. i had a new 1990 ford taurus v6 that had a piston slap at 5,000 miles..ford replaced with a new crate engine,said some models were bored out to much ! bought my daughter a brand new 1992 ? ford probe/ of the first ones made ... motor was very noisy on start up!! ford said continue to drive it and we did, till it blew up, on cold christmas night... ford said heads were made in mexico, and oil holes were not large enough,was dual overhead cams v6 engine.. had only 2,000 miles on it.. also was hit by a snow plow, while at ford dealership lot , paint and panels never aligned up right.. daughter will never own a ford car again, she drives a 2006 chevy monte carlo ss v8 and she loves it with 86,000 miles .. i have owned some corvettes, and yet to blow a motor,or tranny, all sticks , maybe are stronger ? all corvettes from 2007 and up have the 100,000 warranty deal-that includes zo6/505 hp and zr1 with 638 hp.rkvette.
yea they did that with dodge rams to, my stepdad bought an 07 mega cab then in like 08 or 09 they came out with a new BETTER body style and a longer powertrain warranty

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im worried about the trans myself, but I got to talk to some chevy mechanics and these 8th generation 5.3L have the same exact trans as the v6 models. They told me the schematic will show the same exact interior parts. Thats why they get alot of blown trannies because of driving it like a race car, but my answer to that is then dont put a v8 in them or get a v8 transmission that can handle the motor.I have noticed when I put the peddle down about half way and release the peddle as it kicks into a higher gear it jerks really bad as if the trans will just snap -Knock on Wood- . Unfourtunetly I have an 06' so no powertrain warrenty for me over 36k, but if and when its time for a rebuild, I will look into a better performance one if available. Other than that, I couldnt be happier. I love this car!

·
Registered
17 Posts
trans

i just got my 2006 impala ss and the trans went at 38000 miles and i just bought it now it has 68000 miles so i not as worried about the trans as i am the wheel bearings and idk i have to get a full inspection on the car cause there is some ther things but idk what the are and my trans jerks idk if thats because its a good trans and it catchs or idk any idea

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dealers all tell me it's a rev limiter. :icon_rolleyes: If it was a rev limiter, why does it drop out of gear and the engine revs? Idiots. Happens at any rate of acceleration. Just drops out of gear. Sometimes takes 3-4 seconds to get back in gear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
shift

i think its because of it being in the shift range or point so it doesnt know to upshift or down shift so its in limbo period

·
Registered
16 Posts
i think its because of it being in the shift range or point so it doesn't know to up-shift or down shift so its in limbo period
Limbo is a good word to describe it. It doesn't matter if I take off fast or slow, it almost always drops out of gear going from 1st to 2nd. It also doesn't know when to shift up instead of red lining. That's like hitting a wall hard enough to throw you forward.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts