Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my SS in Janurary, its an '08 and completely stock. I'm pretty much a laid back driver, I didn't buy the SS to be a track car or dragstrip project. Of course I want to enjoy some passing power here and there, but rarely do I indulge in those opportunities.

But I did eventually wind up at a red light with an older Challenger RT (which I believe was an '09). Now... to be clear, the two lanes merge not too far from the traffic light and this intersection is notorious for impromptu drag racing (and a favorite spot for cops to lurk). Reason why is the speed limit changes dramatically from 35 to ummm... a much higher number! :eek:k3:

I'm not saying we were racing, I never even talked to the guy or even saw him. I simply looked at the interaction as me attempting to pass him and if he speeds in front, then I'll fall in behind and that'll be that! But it was a chance to indulge.

He was half a car length ahead of me, he was pulled way up passed the white line and I took a more submissive approach. We had a little bit of an "altercation" prior, as I was going to fly by him at the previous traffic light and hopefully and swiftly merge without incident. But as I tried to pass him (about 40mph in a 35mph zone), he apparently hit the gas and sped ahead of me like he wasn't going to let me pass. Unfortunately we both got caught at the next light, in which the two lanes merge thereafter bringing us to the situation now.

We waited a full cycle, about a minue and a half, and finally the light turns green! My traction control is on, so it knocked some bite off my launch but I was totally pedal to the metal. I might of caught him by suprise as I bet he didn't expect an Impala to "challenge" his Challenger RT but I saw his headlights aggressively lift up in pursuit as I passed him off the line.

I'll say that our little interaction went from 0-70mph and for me it would seem really even in a fair race, but obviously I suprised him as he probably thought I was just another LS or LT but never at any point of the merge did I feel like he was going to pass me or was even gaining the ground he'd lost from the get-go.

It was good sleeper fun, but it left me thinking in a fair race... '08 Impala SS or '09 Challenger RT in the 1/4? I know the new RTs are ridiculously powerful, so I'm just saying '09s and maybe '10s. Interesting that Dodge never published any performance numbers.

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
As far as the power to weight ratio is concerned, I wouldn't call the R/T's "ridiculously powerful". Those two vehicles would definitely be fun to watch in a tree lights race. From a dig, you're in a bit of trouble because of the FWD. Weight transfer isn't on your side. However, you might actually have the weight advantage in this case. Sounds crazy considering you're in a four door vs a coupe, but the challengers are FAT cars. Would love to have seen a video of this, great story :eek:k3:

From two different sights, i'm seeing about a 100+ pound curb weight advantage (in your favor). However, motortrend is saying you're about equal so i'll chalk it up to gas and driver weight lol

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
:giggle: yeah I know

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
The non-SRT-8 hemis need to respect the 8th gen SS', that's for sure.

·
Registered
545 Posts
wouldnt suprise me, the SS i had ran damn good.. only problem with drag racing one is traction :( then gm has the trans way to safe, like in that 40 mph video it probably didnt down shit to lowest gear which would be fist in those.. quit a few times playing with friends id get spanked from a roll by letting the trans do its thing. However if you did a roll on and had it in the gear you selected it was a lot quiter. same deal at the track once it would start to spinn it would upshift early to second..

they are impressive cars for what they are.. no hot rod for sure but fun..

·
Crusoe Customs
53 Posts
A buddy of mine was messing with me with a new body style 5.7l Toyota tundra and i stayed about a half a car length ahead of him:wav:

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
A 5.7 Tundra will smoke your car unless you have some pretty good mods. Sorry, but true. They hit 60 in 6.0 - 6.3 seconds, depending on what test results you want to believe. An SS will take a Tundra of course, but not your car..... unless, like I said, it has some serious mods.

·
Crusoe Customs
53 Posts
A 5.7 Tundra will smoke your car unless you have some pretty good mods. Sorry, but true. They hit 60 in 6.0 - 6.3 seconds, depending on what test results you want to believe. An SS will take a Tundra of course, but not your car..... unless, like I said, it has some serious mods.
I beg to differ sir, yes the 5.7 has a bigger displacement but you have to remember that the tundra is heavier and has the areodynamics of a semi. I have done a few small mods to the car but the tundra wouldnt out run the impala.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Make a video :eek:k3:

Reactions: Dave_N

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I think a 3.5 Charger...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Impala vs. Tundra...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I own a 2010 Challenger RT auto. I've done a few mods, exhaust, CAI, catch can and a tuner. I also had a dyno tune done to it. It made about 370 hp at the rear wheels and just over 400 ft-lb of torque. The 5.7 actually has higher torque numbers than the 6.1 in the SRT8. Thats not the case with the new 392 engine, its a torque monster also.

It has a built in 0-60 timer, and my best is 4.68 seconds. I've also had a lot of 0-60 runs close to 6 seconds due to a lack of traction. I've also raced the car on a 1/8 mile track and it will run high 8's all day long. With some drag radials, I'd probably get into the lower 8's. This translates into a low to high 13 second time in the 1/4 mile. I've seen guys on other forums post times of high 12's in the quarter mile bone stock, but this is under ideal conditions, low altitude, cool weather, low humidity. The car weighs about 4300 lbs with me on board.

I'm not sure how these numbers compare to an Impala SS, but these are real world numbers.

The Charger in the other video looks like it has single exhaust, which makes it a 3.5 v6.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Sorry buddy but there is no way your doing a sub 5 second 0-60 in that land yacht with a lightly modded 5.7l
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
^^I don't know, I am sure some don't believe my numbers in my even heavier land yacht with 20s.

Rooster: Re: the Tundra versus a 3.5 Impala, I would not mind being proven wrong, but unless you are nailing 60 in LESS than 6.4, you are not taking a Tundra 5.7. And, if you are, you need to help all the others with 3.5 get those results with your "few small" mods. Really, not trying to be a jerk, and if you can do 0-60 in less than 6.4 that's awesome, and you really do need to share your tips and also post a video! I have driven a 5.7 Tundra and it felt like a 6.0-6.5 ride to me, hated it, but still it was quick. That number comports with all the test results from magazines etc that I found when I googled 5.7 Tundra 0-60. I am only basing my opinion on the drive I had in one and the published test results.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts