Impala Forums banner

07 SS winter traction issues. need advice on new tires

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  KERR 
#1 ·
Have the horrible factory RSA's that are in need of replacement, so I know that's probably a large factor.

Biggest issue I have is the road manners of this car in snow/ice. Traction is manageable and is not much of an issue with easy throttle and TC. My main concern is the a$$ end of this thing. Feels like it's all over the place. I can literally feel it slide back and forth an inch or two at anything approaching 30mph+ even if the conditions allow. I'm just waiting for the one time I over correct at 25mph and the a$$ end passes me. Never had a heavy, long 4d sedan feel unsafe in the slightest bit of snow until this thing.

So my question is. Are these cars really that horrible in the snow or is it just the tires? Hopeful it is the tires, below I listed a few I'm looking at. Does anyone have first hand experience with any or can offer advice on another brand? I'm in Michigan, we get some weather but it's no Alaska. I simply need a quality true all season with acceptable performance in all 4 seasons.

Kumho Ecsta 4x
Kumho Ecsta ASX
Pirelli P Zero Nero

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
Stikky, I recommend also checking with your Chevrolet dealer regarding your tire concerns. Their specialized technicians may be able to shed some light on the subject for you, and please feel free to private message me anytime if you have any additional questions you would like me to research.

I'm glad to see community members already jumping in with opinions for you!

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

#4 ·
You will be getting some other opinions soon, but personally I wouldn't go without winter tires on an SS in the midwest. The ass sliding around is probably due to tires, unless you have the camber issue. Since no power goes to the back wheels, nothing should be causing them to break traction. If the ass does start to come around, remember its FWD, give it a little throttle and it will straighten out.

#5 ·
There is a whole thread on precisely this issue with 8th gen SS models - bad in snow - do a search and look it up as there is a good discussion and recommendations there.

#6 ·
After a little thought throughout the day I've considered moving to a dedicated snow tire during the winter months. I've had great success with this in the past on a few sports cars. The only thing previously holding me back was price. I didn't want to spend $800 on winter only tires if I could spend $800 on all season tires.

I have two options:

First try to find a used rim/tire combo with the proper backspacing to fit the Impala with winter tires and swap them on for the snow. I'd prefer factory rims off another Imp.

The second option is to find a used winter tire only and swap them onto the factory rims. Locally there is a guy selling a set of 4 Goodyear eagle Ultra Grip 225/60R18 for $150. Not too worried about them being narrower, it would be better in the snow anyway but how bad would the 50 to 60 sidewall height change things?

#7 ·
wont the 18 inch eat up more gas ? I got a LS but its got enough power to do wheel spins plus my model dont have TC either so all power goes straight to wheels. I was thinking of getting winter tires myself but got in a collision before that, maybe after car is all fixed and if its winter i might get too. I was thinking geting general altimax arctic winter tires and get them studded as well cause of the ice we have on roads and intersections. You can go with Blizax too i heard they are good, but personally i will not get anything without studs for where i live one needs studs.

#8 ·
Actually found a guy locally that has a set of 4 235/50R18 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5's basically new with 9/32 tread that I can pick up for around $400. If I can work out the logistics with him that's probably the route I'll go. Will give me time to research some better tires for the summer months.

#10 ·
My winter 16" Nokian Hakkippillittas helped, but it still was not satisfactory to me and part of the reason I don't have it anymore. Mostly unsatisfactory because our Caddy , with a similar set up (V8 FWD 16" rims) performs so much better in the snow and ice than the SS did, even though the Caddy has all seasons and the SS had Dedicated winter tires.

#11 ·
So I bought a used set of Hakkippillitta 5's in the factory size yesterday. Had about 9/32 of tread left and were in excellent shape. Also put 120lbs of sand in the trunk.

I can't say with enough experience that the car handles perfect. However I can say it is a night and day difference over the factory crap. Car feels more in control and stable almost like a completely different vehicle, my spine doesn't tense up when I see a shiny spot 50ft up the road, the softer tread actually soaks up more bumps so the ride is smoother, snow/ice traction is amazing and seems even better in comparison to old tires and although at speeds below 40mph they seem louder at cruising speeds i noticed no difference.

I'll give some feedback after I get a chance to experience more winter weather I only drove about 50 miles on them yesterday.

Hopefully the last example i can give about the poor traction i experienced. Yesterday while driving to meet the guy and buy tires i was forced to go about 15mph slower than the rest of the highway traffic because of stability concerns with the SS. The roads were essentially dry but the 26 degree temperature kept any remaining ice/snow from melting. Every time I would approach an overpass on the highway the ass end would get all squirly and swing out because of a small patch of black ice. To the point a few times that the gf was freaking out. Every car in front or behind me in my lane had no issues yet I'm putting a long with white knuckles on the wheel.

Never have I driven a car that actually made me feel unsafe until this one. No matter what level of caution I used I felt things could go south at any minute.

#12 ·
Your new dedicated winter tires will be a great improvement. If your brakes allow it, 16" would work better, in a 215.65.16 size, a good skinny tire.
Tire Rack shows a set of General Altimax Arctic studdable for $400.
That's for future reference since for now you've got the issue dealt with. I hope.

But fat squat 18s are not the ideal winter arrangement.

And with all thanks and respect for Katie at GM and her responses to my various questions and requests, in my experience dealers are about as clueless regarding tires as a random guy on Leno's Jay Walking segment.
(In fact, a lot of the guys behind the counter at dedicated tire stores are also clueless. It's a job, not a profession.)
They will say, yes those Goodyear RS-A are good tires, GM recommends them. Read the tests, read the surveys, read your own experience. They are absolute junk.

Dealers, and GM dealers in particular--and I have a very long history with them--seem hidebound by their manuals, VIN need, and whatever "training" they've had regarding ANY parts. Outside the box thinking is outside their universe.
I'm not trying to flame here, I'm simply stating my experience with dealers, over a period longer than many here have been walking the earth.

#13 ·
RSAs were, quite literally, the worst performing tires I have ever had.

#14 ·
100% agree! This is now my 3rd vehicle that was purchased equipped with RSA's and I've had the same horrible experience with each. Couldn't wait to get them replaced.

Also I agree this isn't the most ideal winter rim/tire combo but I am more than satisfied with the results. New all season's in the spring and either back to this tire if they have another season left or 16/snow tire combo next winter.

#15 ·
They can't be worse than the "integrity" can they? I find it interesting how people in any given profession will blindly believe whatever propaganda they have been fed, but then people tend to be blind followers in pretty much everything else, so why not that too?

#17 ·
^^:eek:k3:

:biggrin: LOL Integrity my ass. Hahahahaha that is a great joke name for a junk tire. BTW, I've noticed that any company or business that has "Integrity" in its name, is about as unlikely to have integrity as Satan himself.

How about "Replace ASAP, courtesy of Badyear" now that's a name I could get behind. With a boot.:dizzy:

#16 ·
Years back when they barely had been heard of before I bought a used set of 4 50% tread Kumho tires with the intention of turning them into smoothies throughout the summer with my Camaro. They were so amazing in comparison to my 75% tread RSA's in both rain & dry that I couldn't bear to do it and put the RSA's back on and wore them out in a month. I had no idea how poor the RSA's were until I tried something else.

Do a comparison on tirerack to any reasonable tire and you'll find RSA's have about half the performance in every category and yet are about 1 1/2 times the price.

#18 ·
Integreties and mediocre brakes are fine for a daily driver.........

Famous last words.....of a former member here.......

#19 ·
They are the stock tire on the chargers, we have been replacing them at 5/32" because the cars become undrivable. Funny thing is, the absolute cheapest tire we can find to replace them is the Pirelli P4, even completely bald they have 3x the traction of the GY.

#20 ·
When in the mountains over the holidays, the Nitto Motivos I just put on a couple months back performed great for me in light snow and ice. Our driveway up there is about a 30 degree angle and curves - I had no trouble getting up or down the driveway. I watched other cars sliding around on some of the roads up there, but I had no trouble whatsoever. Granted, I don't drive in heavy snow and ice like some of you guys do, but I'm very pleased with these tires - they were bought just for the all season capability. Price-wise, they were less than most other all-seasons out there.

#22 ·
I'm kind of surprised at some of the responses. My 08 SS is a beast in the snow. Even after the storm last month that dropped over a foot. The only problem I have once in a while is getting going when there's a ton of slush in the road after being stopped at a light. No idea what kind of tires are on it, all I've looked at was the tread.

#23 ·
I bet it depends on the type of snow. We either get loads of the fluffy snow that doesn't pack or we get hard wet snow. The only times I was in it it was hard packed with ice under it all. Also it depends on how they keep the roads. When we do get hit by a storm the main roads are plowed. But al the other roads are not. So even with snow tires your sol as the bottom of the car drags the snow turning it into a impala plow lol.

Now the v6 I had did fine in the snow but it had the little motor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.