Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what is causing the noise, changed power steering pump and still got the noise. Definitely noise comes from power steering pump erea. Any suggestions b4 I try to change rockinpin?

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
Are you sure its not coming from the alternator?

Alternators can produce whining noises as well, and being so close to the steering pump, it sure can generate noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used a screw diver and placed it on the alternator. No noise transfers through. Very obvious. So not sure where noise originates

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Was the power steering system bled properly? Does the noise change while you move the steering wheel in park?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turning the streering wheel doesn't cause any noise while being in parked position any other position. It sounds just like the sound a car would make if it was low on powerstreering fluid. It made the sound before and after I changed the power steering pump. Fluid tanks is always been full and strangely enough has never needed to be refilled. Considering flushing the powerstreeing pump.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I would recommend flushing it. If that doesn't help then I would start to suspect a bad idler pulley/tensioner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't done any work yet and battery light came on. Dash says 'service battery charging system'
So either the power steering pump needs to be flushed or alternator going bad.
The whining noise has been happening before and after i changed the pump. I placed the flat head side of a screw diver on the altenator and my ear on the end of the handle to hear if any noise transfers, but it is safe to say no noise transfer through. However, when i do the same thing on the power steering pump I can tell the noise originates in the erea.

Any suggestions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts