Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - As I'm hopefully wrapping up on my Stereo upgrade (replaced all speakers, amp and added sub), I've got a couple final questions

In a 07 SS

1. Where is a good/easy spot to connect a 4g ground wire?

2. What about the factory amp - should I remove it or at least disconnect it?

3. Where is a good (and hopefully) easy spot to mount an amp (aprox 2.5 times the size of factory amp)?

While I've not yet powered it up, I currently have the amp mounted to the sub box... which I am now rethinking. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
For a ground, I would think a self tapping screw into any metal body structure in the trunk should do. I am planning on adding a sub to my Bose system ('06 SS) so I am interested in watching your project progress. Good luck.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I mounted both of my amps under the front seats. I grounded each amp on the metal frame of the center console. Everything is hidden out of site, with the exception of the 12" sub box in the trunk. I know I left my Bose amp installed on the rear deck, but I can't remember if I disconnected it or not. It took longer to do the install this way but there are no wiring or amplifiers out in sight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a ground, I would think a self tapping screw into any metal body structure in the trunk should do. I am planning on adding a sub to my Bose system ('06 SS) so I am interested in watching your project progress. Good luck.
Thanks... yeah, I ended up just using a wire brush to clear the paint, then drilled a hole in the trunk and put a nut/washers/bolt though it for a ground. I'll keep you posted on how it all comes together. At this time I have everything hooked up and wires to trunk but still trying to figure out what exactly to do w/ the amp...

So far I've installed:

All wiring - new speaker, ground, power etc.
Idatalink Maestro w/ odb2 connection
Pioneer AVH W4400NEX
Backup camera
Uniden DFR7 Radar detector wired into mirror for power
Aukey Dash Cam powered via fuse tap
Infinity Kappa 60csx componets
Infinity Kappa 693.11 6x9s
Infinity Kappa 1200w subwoofer in sealed box

The amp is a Pioneer GM-D9605... currently attached to sub box but I'd like to do something better/won't have potential to damage

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mounted both of my amps under the front seats. I grounded each amp on the metal frame of the center console. Everything is hidden out of site, with the exception of the 12" sub box in the trunk. I know I left my Bose amp installed on the rear deck, but I can't remember if I disconnected it or not. It took longer to do the install this way but there are no wiring or amplifiers out in sight.

Thanks for the feedback... I had thought about doing the amp under the seat but decided against it... to late now! lol

I did end up leaving the factory amp in there and connected.. If a follow the idata link maestoro info correctly, programming it with use of a aftermarket amp will NOT power on the old factory one (i think/maybe)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts