Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall, i'll try not to make this too long but i am having a problem with my 2007 impala ls and trying to figure out what is may be and avoid having to take it to the dealership for now. so right now it has been sitting for three days with the key stuck in the ignition with no power at all. recently it had been acting a little weird just radomly every so often when i would go to shut the car off, instead of the radio and lights staying on like they usually would until i get out of the car, i would turn the key to off and everything would just shut down. no lights, no radio, couldn't take the key out and if i tried to turn the key to start the car again just absolutely nothing. this happened maybe 4 or five times over a week and a half and each time i would just sit in my car for a few minutes (maybe 5 to ten) and then everything would just come back on, i could take the key out, and it would start right back up. okay, but then this last time i pulled into the garage, went to shut the car off and everything shut off again, key stuck, wont start, and this time it has just not come back on and the key is just stuck. shifter won't move at all either. i checked my battery and it is fully charged so i guess it's not that. i checked my RAP fuse as i saw suggested by some people, but it was also fine. can anyone give me any ideas or suggestions of what i can try or what it might be?
also a couple weeks ago when i started my car there was an "air bag maintenance" message on my dash which i had never seen before, but the next time i started the car it was not there anymore and hasn't come back on. there has also been a couple of times since i bought this car where i would get out of the car, shut the door and the car would make a single honk and all the doors would lock without me doing anything. don't know if this would be relevant at all but thought i would mention in case. i'm almost 8 months pregnant with a very limited income for the time being so of course my car would decide to give me problems now lol :(
any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
76 Posts
The one thing you can try, is get a battery terminal cleaner and disconnect and clean both battery terminals and the posts and connectors real good.
They sell them at any auto parts store, really a very simple stupid steel bristle brush thingy, probably cost $5 or less.
Because it could be corrosion at the terminal or it's just loose or dirty, might not even be a visible issue but a faulty connection, often cleaning it does a world of good.
It's certainly something I would do before calling around...

Your only other choice beside a dealership is either a local trusted mechanic you've taken your car to before, and you might call before you have it towed there...
Or take a chance and get a mobile mechanic to come out and look at it, be less of a random factor if you have a friend who knows one.
Find a mobile mechanic through one of Facebook's many (local to you) trading groups.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts