Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2007 and removed the interior for a good cleaning ..I removed the driver side seat belt assembly and the belt keeps goin in, but no come out :( :bang: I know if the car has been in an accident the mech. is done but my car has not, there was nothing wrong with it, I just drove it home. I know there must be a trick? If you are with your attorney please don't respond. Thank you in advance for real help.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have an 2007 and removed the interior for a good cleaning ..I removed the driver side seat belt assembly and the belt keeps goin in, but no come out :( :bang: I know if the car has been in an accident the mech. is done but my car has not, there was nothing wrong with it, I just drove it home. I know there must be a trick? If you are with your attorney please don't respond. Thank you in advance for real help.
Isn't there an electrical connection on the unit? Have you re-connected it to see if it releases?

BTW, I'm thinking the car should be off when you re-connect.

Doug

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ive never messed with seatbelts before, but I know that if you pull it out all the way it'll lock on retraction for car seats, is it possible that it went too far retracted?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Ive never messed with seatbelts before, but I know that if you pull it out all the way it'll lock on retraction for car seats, is it possible that it went too far retracted?
I can't say. But it does make sense that, when installed, they never fully retract - there's always a few feet of belt out of the unit. So I understand the notion of over-retracting.

On my old 84 Ranger, we got one of the seat belts stuck one time, and couldn't get it to retract. After opening the door, it zipped back into place. Presumably the door-open signal (ie, interior lights wire) caused it to retract. That's partly why I wonder what yours will do when hooked back up.

Doug

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea these new fangled charge belts have me all messed up ....I have had lots of other impala (pre 06) and never had an issue with yanking the belts pressure washing them and re-installing. I didn't just let them "window-blind" in either, I simply disconnected them and led the belt in slow .....then realized this might be bad when it didn't click and come out (like always) I couldn't take a chance of being left hi and dry so I raced to my nearest junk yard that just got an 07 in and I grabbed the belts (smartly tying them off 1st this time) for 16 bucks for both its cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Yea these new fangled charge belts have me all messed up ....I have had lots of other impala (pre 06) and never had an issue with yanking the belts pressure washing them and re-installing. I didn't just let them "window-blind" in either, I simply disconnected them and led the belt in slow .....then realized this might be bad when it didn't click and come out (like always) I couldn't take a chance of being left hi and dry so I raced to my nearest junk yard that just got an 07 in and I grabbed the belts (smartly tying them off 1st this time) for 16 bucks for both its cheap insurance.

Doesn't your year Impala have front seat, seatbelt pretensioners? They blow a small charge if the airbag blows, spinning the seat belt reel and tightening the seatbelt briefly. If you retract the seatbelt webbing while damp, it may damage the wiring or pretensioner mechanism.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm aware of the charge belts but since I walked the belt into the mech. I didn't get to clean them as it was all rolled up on the mech. Also, I never would have rolled them up wet either, they wouldn't have dried and probably got all moldy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after all this worrying about the airbag light I used my friends scan tool to reveal that in my assembly haste I failed to "plug in" the passenger seat :( Everything else is A-OK YAY !!! But sadly I bought another Impala and I think I like it more, its an 09 with buckets and console. Everything else is nearly identical :code 911 paint, auto-start, plush grey inside, alu. wheels ...even miles are close at 175K . BUT OF COURSE, the thing has a seatbelt code !! Code B001A ....come on, really.:gaah:

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I corrected my over-retracted belt tonight. A .025 feeler gauge along side the retractor and depressed the locking pawl and a few click later and all is good with the world.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts