Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and I am looking for some info on 2007 Impala battery cable replacement.
My cables are corroded and the shop wants ~$500 to do the job. Not sure why it would cost so much. Is it that big a job?

Is it very difficult to do? I looked around here on this forum and didn't see any kind of "how to" thread.

Is there one? I appreciate any info/advice.

Thank you,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have a 07 LTZ got it from my dad, cables were corroded too, but if original its just surface corrosion you can clean it all up with metal brushes and spray with battery protector and sealer.

The cables should be sealed and have heat shrink over them, if no issues with charging clean them up and seal them up, just a thought

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
I would take myself down to the local auto wrecker ( Pick and Pull etc) and see if I could find them there.

If it's just the ends that clamp to battery, then do what terdog says only in addition mix up a jar or bucket of baking soda and water and place them in there for 30 mins or so and let them fizz and foam till that stops and then brush with brass brush ( or steel brush if that's all you got) rinse well, and reinstall. Spray with above mentioned protector/inhibitor.

Word of advice however.

If you change them keep the little nuts that are on the clamps. They are purpose only for those cables, you cant just buy them from the dealer, and pretty much made from Unobtainium. DO NOT LOSE the ones you have.

Just sayin.

In fact
If/when you are the wrecker ( should you decide to go that route) collect a few of them. I have spares in my electrical box just because I am anal that way.
Murphy states: "You have them you never need them, you don't have, you need. "

Oh
And
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
380 Posts
Can you not cut the corroded ends of the cables and put some new terminals on there? Im trying to picture where they are corroded enough that you would have any issues. If there was slack, I would cut the corrosion out and put new ends on. I don't much like how the impala battery cables connect anyways. Maybe use something like this?
Amazon.com: ACDelco 3BA35 Professional Battery Cable Terminal: Automotive

Maybe I'm missing something though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts