Impala Forums banner

07 and 13-16 compatibility

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Chevy07 
#1 ·
I have an 07 Impala LT with the 3.5 with 160k+ miles with minor bumps in the road along the way and no major breakdowns. This car as far as reliability has been a dream, I've only had to replace a water pump, oil pressure sensor, abs wire and the shifter wire. The last oil change the low oil message popped up right about the 3k mile mark and it just did it again right at 3k miles or a little before. Its burning it and honestly I could use a new car at this point. My main question is, I want a newer Impala with the 300hp engine and I was curious if the engine parts or anything else interchangeable between the 3.5 engine in my 07 and say a 2013-2016 3.6 engine?

If so then I will just keep my 07 as a parts car and buy a newer one.

#3 ·
Not exactly sure, I take it to the dealer I got it from for a few oil changes before and during winter because I don't have a garage. I do get the high mileage oil changes from them though. When I do it myself, I usually use mobil 1 and when it came up as low oil the first time it was after my last oil change I did myself, right before I took it in to get another one before winter. The car runs perfectly fine other than that and from what I can tell it's not mixing with the coolant. If I can run this car until 200k+ without major repairs then I would be happy with it and just keep it but if it's some sort of head gasket related issue then that's something I don't feel like getting into.

#4 ·
Is it calling for Dexos oil in 07 ? (I don't know)
Reason I ask is, I have an 07 3.9 and if I use synthetic oil it uses it. It does not call for synthetic but only that the oil meet GM 6094 specs. When it's really cold here in the GWN I do however use Penzoil Platinium just to aid in cold starting. (-20 to -30 c). I have to keep an eye on it as it will consume about 300ml in 2500km. The next oil change I do (in the next month or so) I will put the dinosaur oil back in. It does not use any of it,,,, well,,,,, 5000km less than 100 ml. Far far less than if I had synthetic in it.
I would go back to dinosaur oil that meets GM 6094 specs if it does not call for synthetic and see if the consumption does not go down.

Reactions: plano-doug
#5 ·
I have to keep an eye on it as it will consume about 300ml in 2500km.
That's not bad. You have a 10 year old car that uses a little over a cup (10 oz) in 1500 miles - whaddaya complaining about ? :D
Or were you just testing us ******** on the metric system ? :)
BTW, when Reagan turned the clock back on the US adopting the metric system, I will admit to getting a little lift out of it. And I kinda take pride in being fluent in both systems (metric and SAE). But in hindsight I wish we'd have adopted it fully, long ago.

When I was a kid, working on the car or whatever, I'd look at a nut or bolt head, then reach in the tool box and pick out usually no more than 2 sockets, one of which would surely fit. Nowadays, it's grab two SAE and 3 metric, and hope that one of them fits.

Because there are always a few SAE fasteners lurking, often from replacement parts, I end up having to keep track of 5 sockets instead of 2, and cursing under my breath when one of them rolls down the driveway :)

Doug

[BTW, I've learned to keep a shallow cardboard box at hand when working on the car - it makes keeping track of small tools and parts much easier.]

#6 ·
I grew up with SAE and apprenticed under SAE and Metric ( Chrysler Japanese marine diesel ) and Chrysler marine gas, Volvo marine gas and diesel, and a number of other sub species of those things, Farymann, Bolinders, Deutz, Mitsubishi, Yanmar etc.

Then in the 70's we in Canada started changing over to metric.
I too am fluent in both as well as imperial.
I always run home to Imperial for measuring MPG as the numbers are always better.

Reactions: plano-doug
#7 ·
Back to the original question, the 3.5L was a completely different animal from the newer 3.6L. The brand new one is another completely different animal.The 3.5L 3500 was more similar to the 3.4L 3400 than it was the 3.6L. Almost nothing is going to interchange. I worked in a GM Dealer as a tech for a little over a year during 2013-2014, and I saw several of these.

#8 ·
Thanks, I can still keep it for my brothers car then so I can make some money off of it haha. My oil issue was a slow leak possibly due to the oil pan plug being warped or bent. Not 100% sure but I put a new plug in it and if I can run it without going low before the next oil change then thats probably what was wrong. If not then I have a bigger issue.

I'm still going to look for a newer model, hopefully an LTZ this time. I said from the beginning that this car needed around 300hp, mine feels pretty quick but still feels a bit heavy for the power. Next, if they can make them rwd which would be fun or AWD(I live in NY) then I would be completely satisfied. The FWD is still diesel in the snow minus starting from a stop where my subaru will hook in anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.