Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Impala Police 3.9L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in process of doing to afm to non-afm conversion on the 2007 3.9l in an old police car. While I have the engine out are there any sensors I should go ahead and replace?

The kit comes with the cam sensor which I'll have to relearn. I have the coolant temp sensor out of the head since I have the heads off to work on and will replace that one too.

Currently lapping the valves and replacing the seals. I got all new pushrods and a full set of non afm lifters. Cleaned up what little gunk existed in the pan. All new seals, rear main and crank seals. Timing chain, sprocket and tensioner new too.

This filter was in the kit, listed as the VVT Spool Filter... where the heck does it go??
Tints and shades Nickel Metal Circle Fashion accessory

·
Registered
2007 Impala Police 3.9L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok. I stopped by the dealer who had the only parts diagram I've seen it listed on. I feel a little dumb now but an extra was included in the kit. The filter goes into the camshaft see pic
Font Rectangle Technology Electronic device Display device

·
Registered
2007 Impala Police 3.9L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, pretty much complete on this project. Replaced the 2 knock sensors, crank, temp and oil level sensors. Kit came with the Cam sensor already. Keeping all the old sensors cleaned and dry incase I get in a pinch. Engine didn't detonate on the break in so theres a plus. I'll be sending the PCM for flashing vs almost $200 at the dealer to do it. Biggest worry was the clipping of the "pink/blk wire for the AFM manifold, just hoping i got the right one. If you plan on doing this your going to need the haynes AND/OR the Service manual, the legit manual made some things a bit easier.

·
Registered
2002 Impala 3.4L V6 LT FWD 243.1k miles
321 Posts
Didn't realize AFM went back this far (2007?), OR that they put it in passenger cars??? I thought this "tech" only went into the biggest gas-guzzling engines?

Have a college friend who found out (as a "Christmas present" in December) that his bought-brand-new 2016 Silverado WT ($30,000) - with only 60,000+ miles on it - needed $6,000 worth of engine work to repair damage caused by AFM lifter failure!!! I didn't believe it, but after researching only briefly online I found this has been an on-going problem for years with GM vehicles!!!

Still - $6,000??? Think the guy was putting in new lifters and a Camshaft ... certainly not tearing the whole engine apart! Sounded like gouging to me (or pricing based on truck value with their astronomically overpriced purchase prices ... which, if true, is still gouging).

·
Registered
2007 Impala Police 3.9L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Didn't realize AFM went back this far (2007?), OR that they put it in passenger cars??? I thought this "tech" only went into the biggest gas-guzzling engines?

Have a college friend who found out (as a "Christmas present" in December) that his bought-brand-new 2016 Silverado WT ($30,000) - with only 60,000+ miles on it - needed $6,000 worth of engine work to repair damage caused by AFM lifter failure!!! I didn't believe it, but after researching only briefly online I found this has been an on-going problem for years with GM vehicles!!!

Still - $6,000??? Think the guy was putting in new lifters and a Camshaft ... certainly not tearing the whole engine apart! Sounded like gouging to me (or pricing based on truck value with their astronomically overpriced purchase prices ... which, if true, is still gouging).
yes chevy made the 07/08 impala AFM and quickly ditched it.

I imagine that youll have to pull the engine to get the cam out or remove the radiator and front of the truck. Then its the intake manifolds and timing chain. That doesnt include if theres any damage that might need new lifters/pushrods/valves. AND on top all that - Programming. lots of labor involved.

Mines currently throwing p3401/p3417/p3433 codes which is for the LOMA cyl deactivation voltage. That seems to be throwing off the Fuel Loop and the Fuel Trim as well. I havent figured out if that is also disabling 3 cyl's as well due to the codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts