Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that my engine is leaking oil. I've had to fill it 3 times since I changed the oil about 3000 miles ago. I noticed that the oil pan is covered in oil as well as most of the stuff at the bottom of the engine.

It looks like the leak is towards the back of the engine (Near the transmission or at the transmission) or on the side closest to the firewall around the oil pan. I can't tell where it's leaking, I thought it might be the oil pan gasket but I'm not entirely sure that's what it is.
I've ruled out the oil filter/drain plug since they're both tight and there's not any oil on or near the oil filter. The top of the engine is also dry.

Just wondering if anyone has had any similar issues. The car has just under 113k miles on it and it seems like this issue was around unknown to me since I bought the car 6 months ago.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would degrease the engine and then you can get a better idea where its coming from since there is oil everywhere.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Could just b the back of the oil pan leaking. The oil pan on my 2010 3.5 impala is leaking only on the passenger side above the motor mount. Ima chage the oil pan gasket when my oil light pops on. Still got 29% oil life left.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking it's leaking from the oil pan but I'm not sure at the same time since it looks like there is oil above that point on the engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost you?
I just replaced mines also the gasket on the oil filter OMG what a pain had to remove passenger side tire the dust covers then loosen the belt to loosen the air compressor then you can remove the oil filter gasket. $12 spent time with nephew priceless.

Tomorrow I'm replacing the oil pan gasket and transmission gasket seems like a task. Those were 48 for one and 27 for the other.

·
Registered
2007 Chevrolet impala ls 3.5l v6
11 Posts
I just replaced mines also the gasket on the oil filter OMG what a pain had to remove passenger side tire the dust covers then loosen the belt to loosen the air compressor then you can remove the oil filter gasket. $12 spent time with nephew priceless.

Tomorrow I'm replacing the oil pan gasket and transmission gasket seems like a task. Those were 48 for one and 27 for the other.
That oil pan gasket is a major pain in the a$$. I did mine when I changed my head gasket. Those side pan bolts are frustrating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts