Impala Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy impala LT Automatic 3.8L 200k+ miles
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have had a problem since I bought this car 3 years ago and it only bothers me in the winter. I can not put gas in my tank! The pump clicks even if I have it turned any way and even on slowest setting. Its getting cold and I kid you not I have to hold it and trinkle gas in at an unbelievable slow rate for 26 minutes. I have replaced last winter the solenoid vent and that didn't change anything. Trust me when I say, I have tried every angle, depth ect. I don't think I can bear another negative 5 degree fill up twice a week. Please, has anyone figured this issue out yet?

·
Registered
2006 chevy impala LT Automatic 3.8L 200k+ miles
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a truck that did this exact thing one time, apparently at some point, previous to my buying it, someone had "Topped off" the tank and in doing so raw fuel traveled down the vapor return line into the vapor canister and caused it to plug up or at least become restrictive enough so that gas fumes when filling the tank had no choice but to escape through the filler neck which the pump would interpret as a full tank and shut off the nozzle.
My "fix" was to detach the return line from the canister and let the vapor just escape into the air instead of being filtered through the charcoal of the canister, I never had the problem filling the tank after that....
I will caution you that filling the tank after this can result in some leakage of raw gas so I never fueled past about 3/4 of a tank. Not sure how this will translate to an Impala but I would almost bet you are having a similar problem. Something to look into.
Thank you for replying. It seems to be a common problem with these impalas bit no real answer. I will look into doing this. Unfortunately I have replaced the canister and it did not change anything. I would think that by taking it off and adding a new one it would have released this trapped gas or whatever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.