Impala Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats going on is the heat is on and once you leave the car sit at idle for lets say 5 or 10 mins it goes cold. moving the dials all the way down and back up again brings the heat back on. ( Sometimes it takes a couple times ) what could this be?

i can post a video if needed to explain in more detail.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not sure if it is the same issue. But I would check your Fluid levels. If you have heat while moving and at idle the car goes cold it could be the coolant levels are low.

James

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have not seen or heard of that problem being from Idle. The only other thing that it could be is a bad control board or the Actuator.

Problem with the system is that it can look like your coolant is up to par however once the Thermostat opens that changes... When the car is running and cold people check the level. It looks topped off, However you turn on the heater and now it opens the line to the heater core and lowers the level of the coolant and then when the car sits idle the heated air is gone, Then once the car starts to move again the power of the pump is able to move more of the water that is low so again the heat returns to the heater core..

If that isn't the issue then there are 4 Actuators in your car, 2 in the Passenger side, one in Drivers side and one in the center and is hardest to change out.. Most times when there is an issue they have bad clicking noise like Sheila has asked about..

Other then that there is not much that can go wrong with your heating..

I guess it could be Related to Auto Temp if you have Auto type controls and not the Manual ones.

In the end. Most times when people mention an issue like you posted it was related to low coolant. Even some that had the system just worked on and even from the dealer, With the thought I was off my rocker, found out that after the car warmed up, Cap removed they couldn't see the coolant after all, Added some and no more issue. So I thought I would offer that as a place to look as well...

Hope you can find your problem. I know that winter time isn't a cool time to have to worry about trying to stay warm...
Sorry I wasn't able to help you with your problem.

James

·
Registered
588 Posts
I hope someone has had your problem and will chime in. The only other thing I could think it might be however It would be odd that is the issue. However I will toss it out there.... Sadly this will have to be done with a TECH 2 Tool that is with GM. So your next step is a trip to the dealer...

It could be that your Module needs to have a software update. First I would look at your RPO codes and see if you have CJ3 or C67. If you have either of them codes your Module should be updated to Version 6.5. Again I am not sure if this is your problem and only can go by what I read seeing the car isn't around me for my own testing...

Sorry I wasn't able to give more help with your problem. Hope you find it soon... Good Luck

James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.