Impala Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where is the charcoal canister located on 06 impala? Having a check engine code P0446 and the car is hard to add gas, did some research online and looks like the charcoal canister might be the issue. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2006 Impala LTZ 3.9L ~170k miles
2 Posts
Does anyone know where is the charcoal canister located on 06 impala? Having a check engine code P0446 and the car is hard to add gas, did some research online and looks like the charcoal canister might be the issue. Thanks a lot!
When I did my `06, it was easy to remove the rear driver side wheel and pull the plastic rivits to remove the inner fender. This picture is a little dark, but this is looking up and back towards the gas cap. It's easier to see what you're dealing with than trying to do it underneath the car.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Water Grey Automotive design

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,506 Posts
P0446 is a Vent Valve electrical malfunction.
You can replace the EVAP canister but that won't likely fix what your ECM is angry about.

Reactions: Guyopel

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes replace what the reader tells you to. Did it say small leak or large leak. The valve that runs with the fule line is usually the problem and a 5 min fix. Canisters can clog with debris but I have not seen to many go bad. But if it happens to be the problem, it's also an easy fix sits right below the filler tube behind the rear wheel. A little more experience but isn't everything.

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,506 Posts
Yes replace what the reader tells you to. Did it say small leak or large leak. The valve that runs with the fule line is usually the problem and a 5 min fix. Canisters can clog with debris but I have not seen to many go bad. But if it happens to be the problem, it's also an easy fix sits right below the filler tube behind the rear wheel. A little more experience but isn't everything.
Code readers aren't magic 8 balls that tell you what part to replace. They point you in the direction of the systems you need to test.

·
Registered
314 Posts
A blockage in the vent system will cause a poor fuel fill problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I did my `06, it was easy to remove the rear driver side wheel and pull the plastic rivits to remove the inner fender. This picture is a little dark, but this is looking up and back towards the gas cap. It's easier to see what you're dealing with than trying to do it underneath the car.
View attachment 166166 View attachment 166167
Thanks for your information. Are you talking about the canister vent solenoid? The picture you show looks like the vent solenoid, not the charcoal canister. I actually have replaced the vent solenoid, it did not fix the problem. I didn't see where the charcoal cansiter is when I was working underneath, so I am wondering maybe the canister is not exposed and covered by some parts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
No the sensor sets right on the left side of the fule rail it's the first place I would check. They are noted to go bad and give you the same problem as the other stuff you mentioned. Start with the easy things first. Check it out. But you could have blocked lines from the charcoal box, they usually don't go bad but they do on occasion. Good luck. Are you smelling strong has fumes when you put gas in that is a indicator that the charcoal box is box is full, but it is just blocked lines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts