Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Impala LS 3.6L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently bought a 2012 Impala LS but really really want a V8 SS! First Impala I have owned but always been a big fan, and always wanted an SS. Looking at 2006-2008 SS with like 100k-150k mi. What is the sweet spot for SS models miles wise? Does the V8 last as long? Is it as reliable as the 3.6L? Considering trading my running 189k mi 2012 LS for a 2008 SS 141k mi but with blown tranny and dead bat. Should I do it? What should I look for? Which is the best SS color for resale? Personally only wanted black or silver (have a silver LS Impala now) Thanks in advance LS fans!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently bought a 2012 Impala LT but really really want a V8 SS! First Impala I have owned but always been a big fan, and always wanted an SS. Looking at 2006-2008 SS with like 100k-150k mi. What is the sweet spot for SS models miles wise? Does the V8 last as long? Is it as reliable as the 3.6L? Considering trading my running 189k mi 2012 LS for a 2008 SS 141k mi but with blown tranny and dead bat. Should I do it? What should I look for? Which is the best SS color for resale? Personally only wanted black or silver (have a silver LS Impala now) Thanks in advance LS fans!
Hi!! I have a 2007 Impala SS with 124,000kms (77,000miles). The transaxles are a weak spot, especially if they're abused. I have added a Tranny cooler & synthetic fluid and I've had no problems so far. Especially considering my Impala tows a 4,000lb 25ft Airstream trailer!! 3 years of towing. Getting around 14 mpg (Imp.) I'd get the history of a vehicle that was driven 12,500 miles a year. Does it run? Get a battery and see if she'll fire up. Any help you need.

·
Registered
2012 Impala LS 3.6L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi!! I have a 2007 Impala SS with 124,000kms (77,000miles). The transaxles are a weak spot, especially if they're abused. I have added a Tranny cooler & synthetic fluid and I've had no problems so far. Especially considering my Impala tows a 4,000lb 25ft Airstream trailer!! 3 years of towing. Getting around 14 mpg (Imp.) I'd get the history of a vehicle that was driven 12,500 miles a year. Does it run? Get a battery and see if she'll fire up. Any help you need.
That's awesome! 77,000mi eh?(I'm part Canadian too!) That's very good! never thought an Impala could tow a trailer that's pretty impressive. Yours must be in mint condition if its a 2007 with only 77k.. That's how many miles I'd want mine to have. This particular one does seem to run if it gets jumped, but the battery will probably need to be replaced. I ran a Carfax and there's no problems except a minor front accident that only seems to result in a paint flaw (or re-painted improperly?)Replacing a tranny is expensive eh? My Dad said it's around 700-1000 to replace a transmission? The owner who's a military veteran and lives on a military base has it listed for $2000 because it sat in a garage for 9months while he was away. I don't want to insult the guy and offer him like $500. What would be an appropriate offer? $1000? That seems kind of high considering the car doesn't run, has like 144,000mi and isn't currently registered and hasn't been since 2019. $600? $700? I might just hold off don't know if I want TWO Impalas one running one not+ my personal car... Thanks for your reply too!

·
Registered
1007 Chevy Impala SS 5.3L
6 Posts
Recently bought a 2012 Impala LS but really really want a V8 SS! First Impala I have owned but always been a big fan, and always wanted an SS. Looking at 2006-2008 SS with like 100k-150k mi. What is the sweet spot for SS models miles wise? Does the V8 last as long? Is it as reliable as the 3.6L? Considering trading my running 189k mi 2012 LS for a 2008 SS 141k mi but with blown tranny and dead bat. Should I do it? What should I look for? Which is the best SS color for resale? Personally only wanted black or silver (have a silver LS Impala now) Thanks in advance LS fans!
I have a 2007 ss in a blue. Kinda a dark blue. With tinted windows. Everyone thinks I’m a cop. Lol

·
Registered
2012 Impala LS 3.6L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2007 ss in a blue. Kinda a dark blue. With tinted windows. Everyone thinks I’m a cop. Lol
haha that's pretty funny! Scarin people! Yeah I have the one in my picture, a silver Impala; it's all tinted with no plates yet and whenever I drive near homeless people they all start walking away like I'm a cop or something....

·
Registered
2018 Impala Premier
22 Posts
I have to be honest, I've owned them all - a base model '06 LS, an '07 LT, '08 SS and a '12 LTZ. The 300hp 3.6L V6 VVT (which became the only engine in 2012 paired to the 6-speed transmission) beats the heck out of the 211hp 3.5L from 2006-2011, and the 4-speed paired to that motor was absolute junk.

GM included the "HD" version of that tranny in the SS with the 300hp 5.3L V8 DOD motor, but it meant next to nothing and the already mediocre transmission could easily be turned to mush behind that V8.

The 2012 you have makes the same 300hp, feels way more refined with the 6-speed, gets better mileage doing it and can still chirp the tires if buying rubber is enjoyable. I say stick with what you have, and do what I did - buy a set of 18" SS wheels and good tires to achieve the same sporty look and eliminate a ton of that floaty balloon feel on the 16" tires. Just don't badge it as an SS if it's not one; that comes off super cheesy.

·
Registered
2012 Impala LS 3.6L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have to be honest, I've owned them all - a base model '06 LS, an '07 LT, '08 SS and a '12 LTZ. The 300hp 3.6L V6 VVT (which became the only engine in 2012 paired to the 6-speed transmission) beats the heck out of the 211hp 3.5L from 2006-2011, and the 4-speed paired to that motor was absolute junk.

GM included the "HD" version of that tranny in the SS with the 300hp 5.3L V8 DOD motor, but it meant next to nothing and the already mediocre transmission could easily be turned to mush behind that V8.

The 2012 you have makes the same 300hp, feels way more refined with the 6-speed, gets better mileage doing it and can still chirp the tires if buying rubber is enjoyable. I say stick with what you have, and do what I did - buy a set of 18" SS wheels and good tires to achieve the same sporty look and eliminate a ton of that floaty balloon feel on the 16" tires. Just don't badge it as an SS if it's not one; that comes off super cheesy.
Yeah I was happy I didn't get the 3.5L engine. I have a 2016 Subaru outback(my daily driver) with a 2.5L and it is soo sluggish. Glad I got the 3.6L Impala wanted a car with a little more pickup. Oh wow you have a 2018 those are nicccee. I looked at a 2016 but it was out of my price range($15-16k) How funny I had a DREAM last night I put 18s on it. Crazy. I was thinking about putting LTZ wheels on it cause I really like those but I think I am going to leave the wheels despite the Chevy bowtie logo completely fading off both the right hand side wheels because I plan on flipping it. . Oh and I'd never put an SS logo on my car. I think that's trashy not to mention inaccurate.

PS. I tried to do a donut a few days ago with no success, now the "Service Stabilitrak" light came on along with the check engine light. I suspect it's a power steering leak even though I got that fixed when I bought the car. I think it might be power steering fluid, cause after I parked it in my driveway and the next day there were 2 very small stains on my driveway. So it's leaking something very very gradually I'm guessing. But..do you know what "Stabilitrak" is? I'm guessing it has to do with how the car rides. First Impala I've owned. Also, I have no idea as I have extremely limited knowledge about cars and the knowledge I do have is from Youtube University.. Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Impala LS 3.6L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ Did you add the spoiler to your LS?
Nope I bought it like that. Was wondering about it too. I'm kind of glad it came with the spoiler I really wanted it with one. Do the LS ones usually come with spoilers? There are 2 much nicer almost mint condition probably 9th gen LTZs in the neighborhood and they both have spoilers.. Do the LTZs or SS models usually come with spoilers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts