Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got an 05' Impala with the 3.4L V6. I've logged over 130,000 trouble-free miles (well, ok the cruise control module crapped out around 115,000).

Anyways, two quick questions:

1. Does this engine have a timing belt or a timing chain?

2. Does anyone have any guess as to how long the timing belt (chain) will last? I'd be particularly interested in input from those of you who have run one of these engines over 100,000 miles.

3. Any ideas on how much it would cost to replace the timing belt / chain before it craps out and destroys the motor?

·
Registered
657 Posts
1. its a chain
2. when the chain fails, you will know it. mine is a 2000 and i have had 0 probs with the timing chain. matter of fact, i dont think i know of any 00-05 impala owner off the top of my head that had a timing chain issue.
3. no idea, you should call a shop in your area.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I see impalas here at work all the time and havent heard of one yet having a problem with a timing chain. Here at the stealership list price on the chain is about $80.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the part info, but the part cost was not what worried me- it was the labor. I'm glad to hear that they don't fail very often!

·
Registered
557 Posts
its about $600 labor to do the timing chain, even though I think that's a complete rip off since I could do it in WAAAAYYY less time than the book says.

·
Registered
88 Posts
These engines are also non-interference which is nice!!!! I had a 2000 Intrepid(2.7L engine known as sludge machines) and if the chain went on that car everything would be garbage. The engine would implode.

*small story lol*

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't think you'll see any trouble with the timing chain.

Come to think of it, I don't even know if the timing chain has a service interval.

·
Registered
557 Posts
they're not an issue at all. The last time I had to replace a timing chain was when they had the nylon gears like they did in the 80's. Since they're metal now, there's nothing to worry about. Why do you think you need a timing chain anyway? Are you having a particular problem?

·
Registered
657 Posts
this thread is from two months ago, and dude hasnt posted since. i doubt hes coming back to answer this one. i would strongly hope he didnt go tearing into the engine to replace the chain, though. :icon_eyes:

·
Registered
657 Posts
there IS a little more involved in getting to the internals on the 3400, but its still not all that bad. when i did my LIM gaskets, it looked really intimidating, but once i got the shit torn off, it wasn't really all that bad. then again, i have not had the liberty of tearing into a 3800 yet, so...yeah, i got nothing really to compare. :biggrin:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Everything is easier on the 3.8 than the 3.4 except the timing cover. The timing cover comes off in all 1 piece, you don't even need to take the water pump off first and in an impala you don't have a motor mount in your way either. its GRAVY

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 04 Base model just hit 183k. Im it's 3rd owner. Had it for 1 year and hardly any issues. Bought it for $700 (at 172k miles) had an R sticker failed for emissions cuz the kid didn't change the Spark plugs and it needed a gas cap. Did that passed with a breeze. Flushed the old coolant, still need to replace rear rotors they are warped a little bit. Flushed the tranny fluid and changed the filter, it was giving a little bang every now n then. Has a little rocker panel rust, but I'll get that fixed. Never seen a check engine light ever. Very reliable car, just keep up with things don't just drive the car and not do anything to it.. Thing still picks up really good, iv floored it more than 10 times since then... Nothings happened!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi all,

I've got an 05' Impala with the 3.4L V6. I've logged over 130,000 trouble-free miles (well, ok the cruise control module crapped out around 115,000).

Anyways, two quick questions:

1. Does this engine have a timing belt or a timing chain?

All 2000-2005 Chevrolet Impalas 3.4 and 3.8 have timing chains.

2. Does anyone have any guess as to how long the timing belt (chain) will last? I'd be particularly interested in input from those of you who have run one of these engines over 100,000 miles.

I have 197,000 miles on my 2004 Chevrolet Impala 3.4, had it since 63K miles and it still runs fine. Won't replace the timing chain until it craps out. So far it hasn't.

3. Any ideas on how much it would cost to replace the timing belt / chain before it craps out and destroys the motor?

According to AllData, its a 6.7 (non-warranty) published hour to replace the timing chain. So multiply 6.7 hours to whatever your local automotive shop's hourly rate (on average is about 80-100 per hour) plus however they decide to charge for the part possibly that would be about $85 to make up for their cost and profit. So that would be total of about $800 give or take. Best not to do it unless your timing chain really goes out.

Read my answers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts