Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 05 SS with 68,000 miles on it. I was looking to see what i could do to the car to get around 400 hp? I am trying to stick with bolt ons for now but if i need to do more to it besides bolt ons i can. I just need help with what parts i should/shouldn't buy? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. My budget is 1-2K

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
U will.never get to 400 with bolt ons. To get thouse numbers your gonna need, heads, cam, turbo and fully built transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
U will.never get to 400 with bolt ons. To get thouse numbers your gonna need, heads, cam, turbo and fully built transmission.
Couldnt i upgrade the supercharger i have in the car instead of putting a turbo? If i did just bolt ons for now how much power would i be looking at? I dont want to go to crazy with modifying the car just yet i only had the car for a week now so i want to gradually do things to it just needed and idea of what i could do.

·
Registered
432 Posts
To even reach 300HP, you'll need some serious mods under the hood. The stock blower simply will not cut it. You'll need to go turbo to get anywhere near what you want.

·
Registered
214 Posts
A gen v blower. Headers with bigger down pipe. Fender well intake. Colder spark plugs. 180 thermostat. Smaller blower pulley. Inner cooler and a tune should get you well over 300 hp.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Dont forget injectors and a built trans, also would probably need to run E85 with an awesome tune.

Reactions: MixedImpala04

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
An old mod we had here had his over 300fwhp, that was a pulley drop with heads, cam, rockers, and a bunch of other stuff. You should be able to get a lot of info still if you look up his garage and posts, username 04DetroitLS

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
An old mod we had here had his over 300fwhp, that was a pulley drop with heads, cam, rockers, and a bunch of other stuff. You should be able to get a lot of info still if you look up his garage and posts, username 04DetroitLS

It puts down some pretty good power and sounds sick as hell :eek:k3: I'd love for my impy to be like that someday.

04DetroitLS - StreetFire Member in Detroit

·
Registered
14 Posts
AS you might know, because our SSs have the 3800 L67 engine, it is shared with several other cars including the Grand Prix. We have a good strong, reliable engine that will last well over 200K miles if properly maintained. This means muliple places to buy aftermarket parts and forums offering used stuff. Club Grand Prix! Your online Grand Prix & G8 resource Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix and 3800Pro.com Forum are forums to check out and read about mods.

I'd recommend starting with a CAI or gutting the air box. Save some money and DIY. Next, I'd work on the exhaust. I did downpipe from ZZP, sent in my old one and took the $50 credit towards a front plog. Of course, you could go directly to headers. Along the way, think about colder plugs/thermostat.
Then I'd get a tune. Peferably HP Tuners so you can tweak the tune and retune in the future as you add more. Or find someone in the area that can help you for the cost of HP tuner credits. Then maybe get a modular pulley system.
In the mean time, save your nickels and dimes for an intercooler setup. Keep an eye on the for sale sections of the above forums and get the pieces used for less than buying the complete setup from one of the vendors. I did mine this way for less than $1K.
All this assumes you can turn a wrench. If you are uncomfortable with it, check out the many DIY guides with pictures or watch some of the videos on youtube. Because past this point in moding requires more wrench turning, such as doing a cam (my next mod) or rockers, heads.
I assume you know that our transmisson, the 4t65e, even the HD version that we have, will eventually become the weak link (as well as having FWD).

Good luck with your car, my son also has an '05 SS which I hope for you doesn't have the LIM gasket leak issue. Otherwise, replace it during the intercooler install like I did. Neither of our SSs have had this problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
you will have a hell of a time trying to make that power, i have an 04 its fun i love it, lays down some rubber too, and i think im about maxed out for the little upgrades i have a couple bucks into those cheap small easy upgrades, prolly 1500 or so into it directly related to going faster, 3.3 pulley 42lb injectors rewire the fuel pump, port and polish your top end(supercharger, intake mani, tb) full header back exhaust 3 inch zzp cat back modified a bit, off the shelf zzp tune, homemade fenderwell intake of 3 inch pipe( prolly too small but it works) a mild shift kit, 160 drilled tstat, autolite 103's, throttle body spacer, aerosport scan gauge( this is my number 1 must do, you wanna be able to see the what all the sensors are reading under the hood) made sure to trim all the gasskets, checked for overhang into the airways. i also removed the weather stripping at the backside of the engine bay, you want to let as much heat escape as you can. my headers are wrapped as well

my port and polish job was basically smoothing the runners in the intake and all the rough casting edges throughout the tb, charger and intake, i opened up the outlet on the charger a bit, but if you have the time when i went to change my lim gaskets i did all this, and you will see how rough the path is for the air to flow, i just smoothed all the lips and edges, dont know what i gained was but im gonna take it as being a positive gain instead of a negative.

scan for kr this is a biggy( this is where that aerosport scan gauge comes in), i run about 1-3 degrees and thats getting up to the top of 3rd gear, so i do decent,i usually only run up to the top of 2nd gear at most on the street playing around

the question is your budget, and the factors that will contribute to that. do the work yourself go faster for less or have the work done and go less fast for the same price. your call, do it wisely. im very curious on what hp im running idk yet, but its not fast enough for me to know, from what ive read and related mods and power output i may break 300 at the crank, this is my first car im performance modding, so its new for me, do your research and alot of it, it will never hurt you,
but what youll get out of all the easy mods, it will most definetly be a fun car believe me, for having 4 doors and 3500-3600 lbs it will make people faces change to that wtf expression haha

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
You still have room for improvement, you haven't even touched the valvetrain.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ive been looking into it a bit, im getting my trans built this week so hopefully i wont have to constantly worry about it going out on me while the parts list grows. Otherwise its higher ratio rockers or intercooling next, we will see

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice build out Jagabombs. I sometimes cringe when these newbies come in and say: I have 1K or 2K to spend, tell me what all I should do. Mainly because the fun part of modding a car is to take one or two steps at a time. Doing all at once kinda takes the fun out of it. Save your money, research, then do the next mod. Enjoy it for awhile, then rinse and repeat. Its also easier on the pocket book going it this way. Plus most of the mods build on and help previous ones.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Half the deal is research start small, the less you touch the less that potentially gets messed up, that way if you gotta retrace your steps its easier, this is my first car I've modded its lightly done but slowly but surely I'm getting deeper into it, and also the way I see it is that if you slowly add that's more time under the hood its more time you'll spend getting familiar with your car and knowing where everything is, I'm no master with this engine but I feel pretty good about it, I just need another car so I can pull this engine and build it, its trial and error, I'm cautious but not afraid to rip into my car unlike a lot of people I know who can talk this big talk but you never see any changes in their car.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I almost bought the car off him and swapped all the motor and drivetrain over, just didn't wanna spend the extra 3 grand. If he would have had it right now, I'd have done it but couple months ago the cash wasn't there.

Shit, throw a FS IC on his motor and an E85 tune, I woulda been low 12s

1 - 18 of 18 Posts