Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question... does anyone know much about the '05 Pontiac Montana SV6's?

My Mother owns one, needs some work, looking online and seeing some are AWD or FWD, and some have a Sports suspension package.

Does anyone know how to tell what this SV6 model has? I assume a number or something in the car somewhere. I have no idea.

Thanks

·
Banned
255 Posts
Just a quick question... does anyone know much about the '05 Pontiac Montana SV6's?

My Mother owns one, needs some work, looking online and seeing some are AWD or FWD, and some have a Sports suspension package.

Does anyone know how to tell what this SV6 model has? I assume a number or something in the car somewhere. I have no idea.

Thanks
I will keep my personal knowledge about Pontiacs to myself and answer your question. You can tell what the drivetrain is (as well as other useful information) by entering it's VIN into the website vindecoder.net. VINDecoder will tell you everything you need to know. Not sure about sport package or not. I don't think that matters. With GMs you can tell if you have a sport package due to a different steering rack. The standard rack has 4 rotations lock-to-lock, the sport rack (sport package) has 6 rotations lock-to-lock.

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
Look for the RPO sticker it'll have all the options on your car on it.. The sticker may be in these locations and will have a series of 3 character codes

Montana: #4 Glove Box, #6 Left rear storage Compartment Inside Door, #6 inside jack cover

Then use this:
http://www.rpocodes.com/

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, funny thing... I was told AWD, and when online looking up details for the SV6, the site itself said AWD... then thought, hey, if it is AWD, shouldn't there be a rear differential? So, bent over and shone a flashlight underneath and nope, not AWD. Pretty much ended the debate right there.

Mother's car... so, I don't have 24/7 access to it.

Had a quote of $800-1000CAD to replace rear brakes and front suspension parts (tie rod ends, sway bar links and control arm bushings). Found a place with a great deal on the entire control arm, figured balljoints not far behind if everything else needs done, raybestos rotors/pads etc... $380CAD, free ship.

Now... gotta hope they come in ASAP and weather decent enough for the work (driveway mechanic).

Just need the thing to last until Spring, then getting rid of it. Hate that van. :)

·
Banned
255 Posts
Look for the RPO sticker it'll have all the options on your car on it.. The sticker may be in these locations and will have a series of 3 character codes

Montana: #4 Glove Box, #6 Left rear storage Compartment Inside Door, #6 inside jack cover

Then use this:
RPO Codes.com- GM option codes,GM rpo codes,General Motors options
What is a RPO sticker?
Well, funny thing... I was told AWD, and when online looking up details for the SV6, the site itself said AWD... then thought, hey, if it is AWD, shouldn't there be a rear differential? So, bent over and shone a flashlight underneath and nope, not AWD. Pretty much ended the debate right there.

Mother's car... so, I don't have 24/7 access to it.

Had a quote of $800-1000CAD to replace rear brakes and front suspension parts (tie rod ends, sway bar links and control arm bushings). Found a place with a great deal on the entire control arm, figured balljoints not far behind if everything else needs done, raybestos rotors/pads etc... $380CAD, free ship.

Now... gotta hope they come in ASAP and weather decent enough for the work (driveway mechanic).

Just need the thing to last until Spring, then getting rid of it. Hate that van. :)
You would look for a Transfer case, but if it dont have a rear diff, it wont have that either.

last til spring...... LOL..... well it IS a "Pontiac" after all :p

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, I wish they never bought this van. Folks were never much for research, and they hated looking... so often for cars, it was the first one with the right price tag and shopping was done.

Told my mother in spring, I'll help her look... caught her eyeing up a KIA the other day and I need to nip that in the bud.

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
RPO sticker also called SPID sticker.

All of the option codes as well as the paint codes for the car.

·
Banned
255 Posts
Ya, I wish they never bought this van. Folks were never much for research, and they hated looking... so often for cars, it was the first one with the right price tag and shopping was done.

Told my mother in spring, I'll help her look... caught her eyeing up a KIA the other day and I need to nip that in the bud.
KIA actually ranked number one above any other auto maker. Not much wrong with KIA's. Perhaps a Sonic, Cruze, Spark, or even a Aveo. They are on the GM's lower price range i believe. The Aveo isn't made anymore it's been called the Sonic since 2012.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My friend had a KIA and after 14 months paid to get out of the lease.

In the 14 months, his window motor died, as did the dash lights, light sensor, 2 speakers (and he doesn't listen to loud music), window wipers and 11 headlights. Ya, 11... dealer said it was probably because he was touching the bulb when installing, until he pointed out that the dealer installed all 11.

Tried to get the dealer to do something, dealer flatly said what's the problem, it's under warranty... but, taking time off work to bring it in and arranging for rides and such, warranty is half the issue. Finally he paid to get out of the lease.

The few stories I've heard about KIA's have all been the same, and primarily electrical issues, which I definitely don't want to deal with. :D

Maybe they're better now, but, she'd be getting something used, about 5yrs old so... KIA is out. :)

But... months away... time to research a bit. 2010 small SUV style vehicles. She has a bad knee and the taller cars are easier to get in/out of.

·
Banned
255 Posts
My friend had a KIA and after 14 months paid to get out of the lease.

In the 14 months, his window motor died, as did the dash lights, light sensor, 2 speakers (and he doesn't listen to loud music), window wipers and 11 headlights. Ya, 11... dealer said it was probably because he was touching the bulb when installing, until he pointed out that the dealer installed all 11.

Tried to get the dealer to do something, dealer flatly said what's the problem, it's under warranty... but, taking time off work to bring it in and arranging for rides and such, warranty is half the issue. Finally he paid to get out of the lease.

The few stories I've heard about KIA's have all been the same, and primarily electrical issues, which I definitely don't want to deal with. :D

Maybe they're better now, but, she'd be getting something used, about 5yrs old so... KIA is out. :)

But... months away... time to research a bit. 2010 small SUV style vehicles. She has a bad knee and the taller cars are easier to get in/out of.
SUVs are gas hogs, try looking into a small truck like a Chevy S10 or Chevy Colorado, My grandpa had a S10, it's got the height to get in and out of like you want, but is tiny with good gas mileage. Other than it being the standard victim of the "GM Battery Drain" it was always dependable. Long as it's driven more than once a week you wont have the battery drain issue

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha... if you met my mom, you'd know why a truck is not an option. :D

When my Impala dies, though been 4 weeks and still not running so, may be dead now. I'll be getting a truck, probably Chev1500 or something.

She barely drives, hates highways so, not after anything with guts. Small SUV, something along the lines of an Chev Equinox, Honda Element, Toyota RAV, etc...

·
Banned
255 Posts
Ha... if you met my mom, you'd know why a truck is not an option. :D

When my Impala dies, though been 4 weeks and still not running so, may be dead now. I'll be getting a truck, probably Chev1500 or something.

She barely drives, hates highways so, not after anything with guts. Small SUV, something along the lines of an Chev Equinox, Honda Element, Toyota RAV, etc...
There's also a Nissan Pathfinder, Honda CR-V, Ford Escape, Ford Explorer, Ford Flex, There is also Jeeps, Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee, Compass, Renegade, Liberty, Wrangler.
Also the Chevy Uplander, Venture, Mercury Villager, Nissan Quest, Honda Oddesy, Toyota Sienna, Dodge Caravan/ Chrysler Town & Country

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, place around the corner had a nice Ford Escape for $2500, woulda have been decent for her... but apparently sold it a few hours before I went and looked at it. :D

But ya... we'll see what's around in Spring. I think she's pretty set on buying from a dealership, not Joe's Used Cars, type a deal. Our family and the used car lots have had no luck over the years so we avoid them. She's older and doesn't want the hassle... can't say I blame her. :)

And if any warranty even better... I use to enjoy working on cars, now (knee, back issues) not so much.

·
Banned
255 Posts
Actually, place around the corner had a nice Ford Escape for $2500, woulda have been decent for her... but apparently sold it a few hours before I went and looked at it. :D

But ya... we'll see what's around in Spring. I think she's pretty set on buying from a dealership, not Joe's Used Cars, type a deal. Our family and the used car lots have had no luck over the years so we avoid them. She's older and doesn't want the hassle... can't say I blame her. :)

And if any warranty even better... I use to enjoy working on cars, now (knee, back issues) not so much.
Your mom sound like me lol, I avoid highways at all costs too :). I don't trust private party sells or "Joe's Used cars" (or as my mom calls them, "Fly-by-night dealerships") either. My family's always delt with Clements Chevrolet which isn't too far away from me. My grandpa went to GM in 1995 or so after the Mercury dealer he always went to, closed down.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya... I've had WAY more cars than I should have because so many died... and the lemons were all from questionable used car dealers.

Best car oddly, was a '97 Lumina, needed a car asap because '95 Intrepid (used dealer) died and I just started a new job. Grabbed it for $700 from a Hyundai dealer, had it there to go to auction. Spent maybe $300/year on average on stuff like brakes, tires, battery... ran fine for 7yrs, when I drove it to the scrappers. Shame... ran fine, interior was mint... rocker panels and rear panels were non-existent and no one in Canada sold them. Got the '02 Impala, which until now, has been pretty good.

Now fighting with a no-start issue... narrowed down to maybe battery cables, but 75% certain passlock issues.

·
Banned
255 Posts
Ya... I've had WAY more cars than I should have because so many died... and the lemons were all from questionable used car dealers.

Best car oddly, was a '97 Lumina, needed a car asap because '95 Intrepid (used dealer) died and I just started a new job. Grabbed it for $700 from a Hyundai dealer, had it there to go to auction. Spent maybe $300/year on average on stuff like brakes, tires, battery... ran fine for 7yrs, when I drove it to the scrappers. Shame... ran fine, interior was mint... rocker panels and rear panels were non-existent and no one in Canada sold them. Got the '02 Impala, which until now, has been pretty good.

Now fighting with a no-start issue... narrowed down to maybe battery cables, but 75% certain passlock issues.
does the impala have a car alarm? if so, and you have the factory stereo you can disable the alarm which should help if you have a passlock issue there is also other passlock bypass methods you can do just search youtube. Unless I'm mistaken, Passlock only exists in GMs with chip keys, something my impala doesn't have. You can tell by a GM key just looking for markings on the key near the key head if it's chipped or not.

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
Passlock definitely exists in non-chipped keys. All 7th gens have passlock. There are a few bypasses, but the best way to deal with it (IMO) is to have it tuned out of the PCM by Will (Overkill). Not exactly cheap, but not expensive either, all things considered.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have an aftermarket stereo installed though right now, no stereo installed. Popped it out when removed the rest of the dash for access.

Problem with a lot of those bypasses is, they seem to only work IF you can get the car to start. Like start it and when running cut a wire or something. Mine won't start at all.

Pulled the starter, works fine. Tried starting with the charger connected with the 75A starter mode on, so, even if a dead battery, should at least try. Bought DeoxIT and used it on all the contacts in the BCU and the ignition switch, tested the relays (that I could find anyway), replaced the bolts on the battery cable. Also tried that passlock relearn thing 6x (6x the 3x you do the 10min relearn).

So, testing the battery this week, if fails will replace. Still no start, swap out battery cables I guess, that fails, then buy the ignition switch parts (2 main pieces, forget the names, where the key goes and the plastic housing) after that BCU I guess.

My Thread for Passlock Issues

1 - 20 of 92 Posts