Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Impala with 3.8 V6 and automatic with floor shifter suddenly won't shift into PARK....I shifted out of PARK normally when started car this morning and now it only goes up as far as R....acts like it is being blocked from going into PARK....Had no previous warning of a problem...I thought that it was the little release button on the shifter knob, but it works properly when trying to downshift manually to a lower gear than OD...It won't downshift manually from OD to 3 unless I press the button, and it works properly that way....Does the brake/ Park interlock safety switch also prevent the car from going into PARK if the switch goes bad? Car has 66,000 miles with a floor shift..not a column shift... I have had to resort to parking the car in neutral with parking brake applied and then removing the positive cable from battery..as I've noticed that even with key off in neutral, I am getting a draw on the battery as my battery idiot light will remain lit in neutral....

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
take the linkage loose from the tranny and see if the linkage on the tranny will go into park, if it does, then it must be the linkage cable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2005 Impala with 3.8 V6 and automatic with floor shifter suddenly won't shift into PARK....I shifted out of PARK normally when started car this morning and now it only goes up as far as R....acts like it is being blocked from going into PARK....Had no previous warning of a problem...I thought that it was the little release button on the shifter knob, but it works properly when trying to downshift manually to a lower gear than OD...It won't downshift manually from OD to 3 unless I press the button, and it works properly that way....Does the brake/ Park interlock safety switch also prevent the car from going into PARK if the switch goes bad? Car has 66,000 miles with a floor shift..not a column shift... I have had to resort to parking the car in neutral with parking brake applied and then removing the positive cable from battery..as I've noticed that even with key off in neutral, I am getting a draw on the battery as my battery idiot light will remain lit in neutral....
I had exactly the same problem.with my 2004 Impala. No problem all along, then when I came home from the store, the car would not go into park, and key could not be removed. It turned out that a penny had somehow fallen into the console compartment, and jammed the linkage to put the car into park. As soon as the penny was removed, the problem was solved. There is an opening when the ashtray is opened, that would allow a coin could easily fall into the console. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am having the same problem. When i take the shifter cap off i can pull the white stick up by hand and get my key out and also push it down to go into reverse and out of it. Anybody know what this is ?

·
Liquor in the front, Poker in the back
32 Posts
2004 Chevrolet Impala | Impala, Monte Carlo VIN W Service Manual | Transmission/Transaxle | Shift Lock Control | Repair Instructions |
Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Actuator Replacement (Floor Shift)
Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
  2. Remove the center console. Refer to Front Floor Console Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauge. and Console.

3. Disconnect the automatic shift lock actuator electrical connector.

4. Remove the automatic shift lock actuator from the pivot point (1), the base of the shift lock control and the vehicle.
Installation Procedure

1. Install the automatic shift lock actuator to the base of the shift lock control and the pivot point (1).

2. Connect the automatic shift lock actuator electrical connector.
  3. Install the center console. Refer to Front Floor Console Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauge. and Console.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts