Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay. i need some help

I have a 2004 impala 3.8 185,000 miles which is or was my daily driver because i don't wanna put miles so fast on my newer vehicle. This Impala recently overheated a few weeks ago. I replaced Head Gasket, Intake manifold/gaskets , Thermostat, Coolant temp sensor, water pump, radiator, radiator cap, Cooling fans, coolant, spark plug, spark plug wires. Now with all of that replaced, Im currently driving it. Its not running hot but its running a bit on the higher side with the temp gauge fluctuates between the half way mark and the notch above it. I don't understand. I then hooked up my scan tool on it and went on a 55 miles to grandmas in it. for the first 15 miles it read 205-210 degrees. i was okay with that. then it slowly creeps higher to around 217-223 degrees for the rest of the trip, around 40 miles, when it runs that high, the temp gauge needle sits on the first notch above half. Really never gets higher than that. So if someone to be so kind and offer me some assistance on how i could get my car to run cooler or if they know a solution, id greatly appreciate it

Another thing i want to add, every time i drive it from a cold start, as the car warms up initially, the gauge goes into the red almost while driving for about 5 seconds and it then creeps back down to around 220. I had the scan tool hooked one time it did this, and it warmed up to 209 and it jump to 252 in 1 second. anyways, someone help me.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Two thoughts:

Are you POSITIVE the engine is full of coolant? Check the radiator (not the coolant overflow reservoir) when it is cool to determine level. It sounds as though you may have an air pocket in the coolant.

You may have a defective thermostat or one that is partiallly clogged with debris from all the work done on the engine (preventing designed thermostat operation). Did you use an ACDelco thermostat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did u ever figure this out?only cuz ...i have an 04 impala 3.4.
I changed my water pump, and have tried to bleed the line as you implied. But I am still getting problems. I will have warm heat, then my temp gauge will start to jump around and ill get cold air... i took it to have the thermostat changed but its still happening. I don't feel like the guy (he was a backyard mechanic, friend of a friend) idk. It seems like that's still the problem... is there a way I can check without taking it out?

·
Registered
2004 Impala LS 3.8L (~130k miles)
200 Posts
Intermittent HVAC heat coupled with intermittent engine overheating is usually insufficient coolant....you need to bleed all the air out of the system. My 2004 3.8L has a bleeder nipple on top of the engine. You leave this open as the engine warms. It takes 10-15 minutes, but eventually all the air will bled out and only coolant will be released from the nipple. Then close it up and you're good to go. I don't know about the 3.4L though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ran into a similar issue with a 03 Malibu 3.1 you have to bleed them daily some times multiple times daily. It took me about 2 weeks to get it to bleed all the way out. Each time you open the system you should bleed it. I thought I would never get it and an old mechanic told me to stay with, that I would get it and I did. I'm not saying that you don't have other issues, but that was mine. And it's very common. Good Luck, stay with it..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts