Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought this car a while ago and it's been a project. when i drove it home it had 1 working headlight. i replaced them all and all was fine till the other morning i noticed one of the low beams not working. it wasn't an issue because mostly drive during the day. got out early this morning and neither one worked and noticed that a high beam was out. checked the battery posts with the car idling with no a/c running and no lights on. 14.1v with the one headlight on and the a/c on and blower on high it was like 13.6 or 13.8v my guess is the regulator is bad but not sure what is within spec on this car. what do you think?
Its got the solenoid b issue with the transmission. replaced the solenoids and it didn't fix it so i picked up a transmission from the salvage yard. gotta put that in. needs new rear struts but the car isn't half bad. rides nice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What did you buy this used vehicle for, and how many miles were on it when you bought it? I’ve got an ‘02 with the 3.4L but “only” almost 235,000 miles. 380,000 is crazy mileage!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Transmission solenoids that go bad wont be unnoticed, youre car will shift erraticly, hard, may not shift at all or even fal into "limp" mode, i wouldnt mess with the tranny if its doing what its supposed to be doing. From what youre saying it sounds like your multifuntional switch has gone bad, check your fuses before anything using a volt meter or test light to see if any fuses have popped . let me know what else i could help ya with! Also with the car running it shouls be at 14v and it may drop some when loads are applied, if it dropped below 12v with loads you have a problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have 277,000 on my 3.8 2000 impala now I have bcm and security issues
Did you put all those miles on the vehicle?

I went through that SECURITY phase, too. Would happen to the wife periodically from like 2004 through 2010. Wait 10 minutes and the car always started. Annoying. Then, in January 2011, we bought the 2011 Equinox new, which she started driving. So the kids started driving the Impala to high school in 2012-2016. Maybe saw the SECURITY problem once or twice? Then the Impala came back to me as a work commuter. Next month will be FOUR years I’ve been driving it as a work commuter 4 days per week (50 miles round trip each day).

Haven’t seen the SECURITY problem once in FOUR years now!

So - I never did anything to “correct” the problem (because I wasn’t convinced any of the “solutions” really fixed the problem). The car continues to be run in the same environment it always has ... and the car is still 95% original from factory, never touched for repairs by anyone other than me. I did the LIM gaskets at 104,000, and it’s gotten fluid changes, batteries, brake pads ... that’s it! Now approaching 235,000 miles ... all put on by me or other family members over 18 years.

The only thing that’s really changed is the driver. Maybe the wife’s keychain had something to do with it? I don’t know. It’s a big mystery to me.

Betcha if I ever finally did a private sale of this car, the new owner would come back to me within the first month complaining about the SECURITY problem (LOL)!

·
Registered
6 Posts
What did you buy this used vehicle for, and how many miles were on it when you bought it? I’ve got an ‘02 with the 3.4L but “only” almost 235,000 miles. 380,000 is crazy mileage!
sorry for the late responce. we got the car for my son who just turned 16. the odometer does not light up and the guy said it had like 230k on it. my son came in one night and said he got some lighting just right and it says 380k. had i known i would have passed it up. it was pouring rain the day we got it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts