Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headliner starting to delaminate in the rear. Will remove and apply adhesive to fix. Any FAQ or pointers regarding removal appreciated. I am new here. Thx.
-Big Buford

·
Registered
13 Posts
I removed the headliner in mine but it's a 2016 & it was a royal pain. Be prepared to remove any upper console that's present, the visors, oh-sh*t-handles, clothes hooks, upper portions of pillars & dome/interior lights. Keep track of your screws! Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MACJUBZ, Thanks for the info. I'm currently in the middle of the job now. Headliner is out....in the process of being refurbished. As you stated, lots more work than you would otherwise think. Will post an update when done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
MACJUBZ, Thanks for the info. I'm currently in the middle of the job now. Headliner is out....in the process of being refurbished. As you stated, lots more work than you would otherwise think. Will post an update when done.
Glad I'm not the only one who under-estimated the work involved! Looking forward to the updates, good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw this and clicked on it right away lol. My sunshade fell on the passenger side and is just hanging from becoming unglued from the heat i guess. Its super thin almost like paper. You guys got any tips or ideas on how to fix from what youve seen? Oh and its a 2014 ltz mostly kept in the garage also.

Thanks for any and all information

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ltzimpala14, When you say the "sunshade fell", do you mean the shade is so loose it flops down and won't stay up? Or is the fabric delaminating from the sunshade itself? The "super thin like paper" comment has me baffled.

My sunshades have a different problem....becoming too stiff to use. But they are bolted into the body roof and through the headliner. They won't just fall out unless the screws are rusted out. I attempted to re-lubricate where the sunshades rotate on their attachment hardware....will report on the success or lack thereof after re-installation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, tbe material is super thin. At least to me it is. I will include pictures. I may have described it wrong but it came unglued on the passenger side from the track.
20200801_082727.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like the fabric has becoming detached from the plaster/leather/whatever black material. Your first 2 pictures are zoomed-in and the last one shows a zoomed-out view of the interior. It would be good to show some in-between pictures. Not following exactly where this is on the vehicle....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's some pictures of mine. Shows the sunshade removal first. Then disassembly to get to <hopefully> the places that need lube. Used spray white grease after masking the sunshade not to get mess all over the thing.

The fabric on my sunshade itself is fine. Yours appears to be separating, so we have different problems our sunshades. IMG_1006.JPG IMG_1049.JPG IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1052.JPG IMG_1053.JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for your reply and trying to help. Yes, our issues are different. Mine has to do with the sun roof. I may have labeled my post incorrectly. I thought the retractable shade for the sun roof is called the sunshade. I will do some more research. Thank you very much for all your help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it now. Sunroof. The entire reason I am refurbishing my sunshades at all is due to the larger issue of delaminating of the fabric along the back edge of my headliner. I removed the headliner and used appropriate adhesive to re-attach, but the results looked awful. I am trying a new repair patch now. Here are a few pictures of the delaminating headliner prior to my working it, which may be more closely related to your sunroof issue....

IMG_0985.JPG IMG_0988.JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Now i can relate. I have a 2004 tahoe doing this same very thing. If youd like when i get a chance ill send you the like from where ill be ordering my replacement headliner (material)? The only thing that i hesitate on with doing it is all the clips. I dont like breaking them without having replacements lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw this and clicked on it right away lol. My sunshade fell on the passenger side and is just hanging from becoming unglued from the heat i guess. Its super thin almost like paper. You guys got any tips or ideas on how to fix from what youve seen? Oh and its a 2014 ltz mostly kept in the garage also.

Thanks for any and all information
Just saw your update, scratch my comment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts