Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got this car from a friend and he got it from a auction. Its a retired police vehicle. I got it with 65k+ miles on it. One day at a friends house, I was sitting in the car and letting it run. About a hour or so the darn thing starts sputtering and 3-5minutes later the CEL starts flashing. I drive home because i dont want to get stranded and the darnest thing happened... The problems stopped. No CEL flashing and the sputtering stopped. No other problems since then with this. Now the second problem is when im idle at a light or in a fast food line my battery light comes on the message center until I accelerate and it goes off until the next long idle. It usually takes about 5 minutes for the battery light to come on when idle. What is my issue and what needs to be fixed or changed??

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Regarding the battery light issue, you either have a very weak battery or a charging system issue. Could be a simple wiring-related issue, especially since they really hack the electronics up when they sell these police cars - they just cut wiring all over the place in order to remove the police-specific electronics. When idling, the alternator doesn't get to charge the battery up very much because of the low RPMs (the higher the RPM's, the more charging power the alternator has).

I would take it to Autozone and get both the battery and the charging system tested and go from there (it's free).

For the first issue, I would check the computer codes (again, Autozone will check them from free) - that is a good place to start. Who knows, it may even be related the battery/charging system issue...

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I planned to do that today getting them checked out. What was weird was last night i parked the car and turn it off for just a few seconds. when i went to turn the key the car wouldnt start. All the lights and things still worked but wouldnt start. 5-10 minutes later it started after using some jumper cables i had. I just hit the two together to see if the battery had life and it did. Now on top of everything a oil leak 😭 going to have my mechanic look at it after i leave autozone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. I think the alternator is bogging the motor and causing the rough idle.

Doug

I would say your right but the car drives smooth no rough idle when start up occurs. Picks up speed inna flash. But I wouldnt count it out just yet

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I would say your right but the car drives smooth no rough idle when start up occurs. Picks up speed inna flash. But I wouldnt count it out just yet
Rereading your posts, I'm thinking two separate problems. The sputtering and CEL indicates a misfire. That could be a bad or loose plug wire, or something upstream in the ignition control module, or the wiring to that. Since it came and went, I tend to think wiring where normal vibration can affect a loose wire.

The no-start condition could be due to a weak battery, perhaps caused by a failing alternator, or it could be due to wiring to/from the battery. You can inspect the battery wiring to be sure there aren't any corroded connections.

When you get the alternator and battery checked, that will eliminate several possibilities.

Doug

·
Registered
575 Posts
The 9C1 and 9C3's come with a high output alternator, 170 amps I think.

If it is not charging correctly, then battery voltage will drop as the battery drains, and this will cause it to run poorly. Once you get below 12 volts, things don't work right any more. With a properly operating alt and battery, you should have about 14 volts in the system.

Stepping on the gas makes it turn faster, so it charges a little more than at lower idle, this might be a sign that it is charging, but barely.

It may be that the battery is not taking a charge very well, though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 9C1 and 9C3's come with a high output alternator, 170 amps I think.

If it is not charging correctly, then battery voltage will drop as the battery drains, and this will cause it to run poorly.

Stepping on the gas makes it turn faster, so it charges a little more than at lower idle, this might be a sign that it is charging, but barely.

It may be that the battery is not taking a charge very well, though.
Could be a underlining factor. My friend said when he got it the battery was dead and he charged it up. Im guessing a weak battery is one of the main problems. Along with a alternator maybe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went and got it looked at by O'Reilly. One person did a test and said the Alternator was bad. Went and got a second opinion from another O'Reilly and he said the starter was draining my battery but the Alternator is good. Battery was too low to give a read. Suggested i take it out and charge it

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
If you have an autozone near you, they will charge it up for you for free (takes a while though). Maybe try charging the battery first and then see what happens... But I have a feeling that it's more than just a battery issue. Not sure what they meant by the starter draining the battery though... I'd lean towards the alternator before the starter, but.. Maybe get a third opinion and see what they say! :) Another option is to order an inexpensive battery/alternator/starter tester and test things yourself. I recently posted a thread about a $35 tester that will test all 3 functions (Micro-200 device).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have an autozone near you, they will charge it up for you for free (takes a while though). Maybe try charging the battery first and then see what happens... But I have a feeling that it's more than just a battery issue. Not sure what they meant by the starter draining the battery though... I'd lean towards the alternator before the starter, but.. Maybe get a third opinion and see what they say! :) Another option is to order an inexpensive battery/alternator/starter tester and test things yourself. I recently posted a thread about a $35 tester that will test all 3 functions (Micro-200 device).

What he meant was when i start the car up the starter is putting a strain on the battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
What he meant was when i start the car up the starter is putting a strain on the battery.

That's what the starter is supposed to do technically lol. Turn key, Starter draws power from the battery(strain). I'm with everyone else. I'd suspect the alternator is on it's way out causing a weak charge and performance issues. The recommended brand for our cars is AC Delco but, getting an alternator from the parts store shouldn't be too bad.. Just make sure you get one with a Lifetime Warranty and not one of those "value" brands.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what the starter is supposed to do technically lol. Turn key, Starter draws power from the battery(strain). I'm with everyone else. I'd suspect the alternator is on it's way out causing a weak charge and performance issues. The recommended brand for our cars is AC Delco but, getting an alternator from the parts store shouldn't be too bad.. Just make sure you get one with a Lifetime Warranty and not one of those "value" brands.
Yeah I am in a few days. Just gonna buy a brand new one. Didnt know the Volt Regulator was built in. Makes my life a bit easier

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will a loose battery post be the problem?? I checked my battery and the negative one was more loose than it should be

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: a loose battery post was my problem the negative one was loose as shit. Tighten it up and no more battery light at a stop light

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
:) Gotta love it when it's an easy fix! I can't believe that the places that you took it to didn't notice that! Typical case of looking at the more involved stuff without checking the basics first - it happens. :)

Glad to hear that is was so simple. Was the post itself loose or just the clamp that goes onto the post?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:) Gotta love it when it's an easy fix! I can't believe that the places that you took it to didn't notice that! Typical case of looking at the more involved stuff without checking the basics first - it happens. :)

Glad to hear that is was so simple. Was the post itself loose or just the clamp that goes onto the post?

It was the post itself a side post was loose i tap it and it was not tight at all. So i hand tighten it and it was the fix i needed. Now to get this oil leak taken care of and im golden.. At least for awhile lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts