Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My 04 3.8L will not start. It will turn over but not start. I've checked the battery its fine even tried to jump it, I've checked the fuel rail and it has plenty of fuel in it, the altenator is fine also and it still won't start. It started fine this morning no problems at all but when I cut it off about 10 mins later it started a little slow and it did it 2 more times. I needed some gas so I went and got some thinking this would help and it started on the 2nd try. When I got to work left and came back about 20 mins later it wouldnt start at all. I don't have a clue about what else could be wrong with it. I was thinking timing belt but don't know how to check and see. If anyone has any suggestion it would be a great help.

Steve

Note: The 4 times I started the car today it started slower and slower I hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The 4 times I started the car today it started slower and slower I hope this helps.

Do you mean the starter turned slower each time? If so then replace the starter.

If it took longer to crank up (starter turned normal but engine took longer to catch and run) then check the fuel pressure with a testing gage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it was the starter. I tried multiple times to crank it and it cranked just fine it just didn't start. I went back later and I had to try to jump it just to get it to crank. When I test the fuel pressure what am I looking for? I've never done that before. my message center also did something it hasn't done before it switched between low tire pressure, battery, and security over and over then when I cut it off it said something about the traction control.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
How close together were your startups? You might be drawing down the battery without giving it time to charge back up while the car runs.

Also, when you got all the different messages from the information center...was the car running? You might have a bad BCM or a short somewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How close together were your startups? You might be drawing down the battery without giving it time to charge back up while the car runs.

They were pretty close. Within 2-5 mind to the next start. But after my last start I drove for about 20 mind

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
OK...So is it driveable now? Or totally dead? What's the current status of the car?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you have the premium sound system, it's most likely the amplifier causing a parasitic draw. Try pulling the fuse for the amp and see if it's ok overnight. If that doesn't work, unplug the amp altogether. If neither way works and you continue to get a draw, we'll continue on. But I've got a good feeling that the amp is probably the issue if you have it installed.

To find it, pop the trunk, crawl in and look up. It's between the mounts on the deck for the 6x9s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just found the problem. Fuel pump or clogged fuel filter. I sprayed starter fluid in the rail after I checked it again and saw no fuel. I started for a sec and cut back off. I'm gonna change both. I do find that weird though the car only has 84000 miles on it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts