Impala Forums banner

'03 severely fogged headlights - fix?

8K views 48 replies 10 participants last post by  702•LTZ 
#1 · (Edited)
we recently received a gift, a nice '03 Impala for my kids, but it has severely fogged headlights. I've seen wipe on chemicals to fix that - anyone ever try that? The headlights work, and should pass inspection, but it just looks nasty. my kids could care less but if I can spend their money to fix it up ... why not!

don't have an actual pic, but this appears to be a close match to the vehicle

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Likely the oxidation the builds up on virtually every stock 7th gen headlight.

Honestly, your best bet is to wet sand the lenses with fine grit sand paper (finish with 2000 grit) and then buff and polish the lens using the appropriate compound to restore the shine. Good luck!

#5 ·
Photo showed for me yesterday and is still showing now :dunno:

#6 ·
photo stuff ... weird
finally took possession of the car, got it inspected and got the snows mounted - ready for snowpocalypse 2014 :)
ob closer inspection of the headlights it looks like they are in fact foggy on the inside. I need to look again in daylight if the outside is an issue as well, it may not be, it might just be a issue with the inside fogging

#7 ·
If the inside is fogging up, make sure the rear "caps" are on there well. If they are, then the headlights will need to be resealed with silicon

#9 ·
No way to really fix it, if you sand and buff them out. Then you are only delaying the process, you can find brand new headlights for around $80 on amazon. Since the headlight restore kits are around $40 I think it woukd be a wise choice just to start over with new. My headlights are so far gone that I could sand and buff all day long and it wont make a bit of a difference.

#10 ·
No way to wily fix it, if you sand and buff them out. Then you are only delaying the process, you can find brand new headlights for around $80 on amazon. Since the headlight restore kits are around $40 I think it woukd be a wise choice just to start over with new. My headlights are so far gone that I could sand and buff all day long and it wont make a bit of a difference.
This is true. Its MUCH easier and will look much better than sanding/buffing. It depends on how far gone the lights are as to whether it would be worth it or not to buy new ones or sand/buff.

#12 · (Edited)
#13 ·
The headlights you linked aren't going to make the headlights brighter. It will give you a slightly better beam pattern, but not worth the extra $100 IMO

#14 ·
gonna load some pics. I think the 1st step would be replacing the plastic headlight housings. they are pretty nasty. more than just moisture fogging inside. I did a small experiment in a small area with a small dab of toothpaste and a magic eraser type sponge and it didn't make any improvement

#15 ·
Yes, get some aftermarket stock lookalike replacements. They're all over eBay and amazon for $80-100 a pair

#17 ·
before I can slide up the headlamp fasteners there's a black cover in front near the hood latch and it covers the inboard fastener on each side. it looks like it's held on with just 4 fasteners/clips but before I start yanking does anyone know the proper way to remove this clip/pin? can I lust lever it out with a thin screwdriver head?

#18 ·
Thats how I've always done it. Pull the inner part out, then pull the whole plug out of the hole. Lift the back of the cover (where the plugs were) up, and then push towards the engine, it will come right out

#20 ·
#21 ·
Yeah that's the same as stock. Its just the housing is black/dark gray. The reflectors are still chrome, and the lens is 100% clear with no tinting.

#23 ·
You can only edit for up to (i think) 1 hour after the post was made

#25 ·
No problem, glad to help :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.