Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm having issues with my 2003 impala LS 3.8l. I'm at a loss here because I would like to think I have babied this car. Problem is slowly getting worse. Currently wont start/run with out giving it significant throttle, this is only initially. I have a cold air intake installed and after a couple revs I can hear it finally start to suck in air. I have cleaned throttle body and EGR valve, replaced plugs, plug wires, evap valve solenoid and the valve. Changed Crankshaft position sensor, map sensor and some other things. Car is muffler deleted I checked the catalytic converter today. Completely removed Cat and resonator to inspect for broken/clogged honey comb or debris neither looked bad and car didn't run any different. So I reinstalled Cat and noticed lots of what appears to be oil toward the front underside of the engine. As I'm inspecting for the leak I noticed a loose bolt, went to tighten it and it was stripped. I'm not sure what this bolt is on or what it's job is. Was wondering if anybody could help(in picture bolt is closest
To bottom left. Also front of engine bay is bottom left area). Also not sure where im leaking from. I check oil at least once a week and it doesn't leak fast. Still trying to figure out what is/could be related to my starting and initial running issue. Thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts

You did not mention if you changed the PCV kit. If it is clogged (or the passageway), it can cause a bad idle and/or an engine oil leak due to the pressure.

GM sells a kit (PCV valve, spring, two o-rings and the black plastic holder), and it is inexpensive. Replace it and inspect the passageway to see if it is clogged (which can be cleaned with throttle body cleaner and some Q-tips.

The MAP sensor (which you changed) is on top of the black plastic holder, with the PCV valve underneath. Some people don’t realize it is there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright will do! It'll have to wait till this weekend but itll get done. I didnt mention I have a "lower end" OBDII reader that shows live data... If it helps. No CEL light on dash only Traction and ABS light come on every now and again but so does the Change oil light very inconsistently too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm actually checking that valve now its lodged pretty tightly down in there. The top side looks good. The car is still a little hot and the oil is kind of bubbling a little. I will let it cool and post more pics when I have it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts