Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll, newb here. I want a dual exhaust for my 3.4L, but Im not sure what brand to go with. Been looking around and saw some universal dual exhausts but there are so many different variatons. If I just change the stock muffler, what size and/or brand replacement should I go with?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey ya'll, newb here. I want a dual exhaust for my 3.4L, but Im not sure what brand to go with. Been looking around and saw some universal dual exhausts but there are so many different variatons. If I just change the stock muffler, what size and/or brand replacement should I go with?
sup dude, I'm a newbie here too so I dunno much either. I also have a 03 Impala equipped with the 3.4L LA1 engine, just like yours haha

When I bought mine, I had 2 things in mind:

First, fuel efficiency. I achieved that, for a 180HP car 23mpg is pretty damn good.

Second, sound. The 3800 engine is an excellent engine but I think its way too balanced which makes it hard to get a nice muscular sound out of it. the 3.4 on the other hand, seems to achieve that perfect muscular sound much easier.

That man is who gave me the green light for buying my Impala. He has the Flowmaster 40s Classic on his Impala, which sounds incredible. In fact, if it wasn't for that brilliant sound, I'd probably be still wondering around in craigslist, looking for a car. That was what made the 00-05 Impala appeal to me enough to turn me away from Camaro, Monte Carlo and Mustang.

If you ever bought it, make a video and let me hear it. :smile:

·
Registered
375 Posts
If your goals are performance, go with a mandrel-bent kit, like GMPP or SLP. Should cost 500-600 this way (install yourself, not that hard)

If you just want the sound, go with a local shop and have them fab up a dual exhaust for you. Should cost about 300-350 this way.

GMPP and SLP will offer minor performance gains, and the sound of duals. A custom fabrication from a local shop will offer sound only.

If you go with a custom setup, I recommend leaving the resonator in the system, and using either a magnaflow or flowmaster muffler. A good exhaust shop will allow you to swap mufflers after a test-drive if you are truly unhappy with the sound of a particular muffler - but check to be sure they will accomodate this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts