Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed LIM gasket replacement with new plugs and fuel pressure regulator. I turn the key to "on" to get fuel to flow and nothing. Service Traction Control light, Service vehicle soon light, low fuel and trac off lights are on when in the "on" position. Go to crank and all dash shuts off including time on radio, but background numbers on spedo, fuel gauge, battery level, tack, stay illuminated...battery is 12.4v...jump battery and same problem.

Some times after i turn it back on on the security flashes and the radio say cal err

I left key in "on" position for 10 min i hear a shallow thumping sound then abs light/brake and all fasten seat belts lights on..like it reset..leave it going for another 5 min and all hell breaks loose! all dash goes wild flashing everything, radio is now thumping louder and faster...i hit power to radio and nothing...turn switch to off and radio works perfectly

now when I turn it back to on this thumping/flashing happens. I also notice the brake pedal is hard to push...I push it in when flashing/thumping and it stops but lights stay lit on dash...let go of brake and flashing/thumping continue...back to off position for now...lol

2 days before the repair I decided to change out the ignition switch for the second time after the cruise control light/heat fan issues started. I left the dash apart for 2 days to make sure the problem was resolved in order to start the LIM gaskets. All was well so I put the dash back together and started the engine work...now this!

When I started engine work all was normal.

Please help!

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

I just checked the battery and I had drained it to around 9.5 v. Hooked to booster back to 12.8v and the lights aren't flashing and no thumping...back to just the trac service control system lights, low fuel, service vehicle, and security flashing on the dash

·
Registered
114 Posts
Take the battery in to have it tested; it could be cold- they have a rating called CCA (cold cranking amps) as well as the volts. How old is the battery? Yes you can probably get the volts back up ( had a 00 honda civic that had 9.6 volt read on the battery but it wouldn't hold a charge. It was old and I decided to replace it anyway and worked like a charm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply! My car in a heated garage, but I changed out the battery to be sure. I also touched the pos and neg wires together to see if that makes a diference. The service traction control light, service engine soon light, low fuel light, trac off light are all back on the "on" position.

No security or battery lights anymore....and no more deathly flashing/thumping!! lol

I know I had a full tank of gas when I pulled it into the shop and am ready to tear apart the dash again and swap the ignition switch back to original.

Any more advice?

·
Registered
114 Posts
With the key "on" can just just jump the starter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I jumped the starter with a screw driver and it spun. I also cleaned the leads to the starter solenoid. The purple wire doesn't get power then the ignition is cranked. The service traction control lights are now off, but the low fuel light is on. I also swapped the fuses, relays, and ignition switch.

I still don't hear the fuel pump kick on. Is there a way to easily test the fuel pump as I'm certain there is fuel in the car?

I turn the key and I hear a clicking coming from the drivers side fuse panel.

What's next to check?

Thanks again!

·
Banned
667 Posts
I jumped the starter with a screw driver and it spun. I also cleaned the leads to the starter solenoid. The purple wire doesn't get power then the ignition is cranked. The service traction control lights are now off, but the low fuel light is on. I also swapped the fuses, relays, and ignition switch.

I still don't hear the fuel pump kick on. Is there a way to easily test the fuel pump as I'm certain there is fuel in the car?

I turn the key and I hear a clicking coming from the drivers side fuse panel.

What's next to check?

Thanks again!
how old is the battery and what brand? I think you have a current draw somewhere also once the battery gets into the 9volt range the cells get damaged.
I suspect that once you put a load on the 12.8 volts it drops a lot preventing it from working.

Starter has a very high amperage draw about 50 to 70amps, total draw on start up is probably 120amps (guess)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I charged the the battery and swapped it with the one in my 07 Malibu SS. The Malibu started right up and I have been driving around with it all day.

It's definitely not the battery. I disconnected the positive battery cable and put a meter between that and the positive battery terminal. There was no drain when the car is off. The reason the original battery got so drained is because I was trying to do the 30 min security reprogram with the lights on....oops!

I have also cleaned the battery terminals. The Malibu had an interstate battery which caused the same problem...turn to crank, hear a clicking from the drivers side fuse panel, then low fuel light and service engine soon lights flash on the dash. There is no sound from the starter and no fuel pump noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved!

I had one very corroded starter wire that got overlooked while cleaning. Also, reconnected and cleaned the big wire harness connector mounted to the passenger side sway bar above the battery and the low fuel light went off. The traction control lights went away as well. Now on to change out the leaky oil pan gasket.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

Rob

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Problem solved!

I had one very corroded starter wire that got overlooked while cleaning. Also, reconnected and cleaned the big wire harness connector mounted to the passenger side sway bar above the battery and the low fuel light went off. The traction control lights went away as well. Now on to change out the leaky oil pan gasket.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

Rob
Good luck with oil pan gasket :eek:k3: I feel for you on that job. It's no small task for sure. You might as well replace the pan while your at it. Just a precaution.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great to hear it! Might as will agreed ^^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts