Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I simply cut off the muffler pipe, about 3inches after the resonator, and used the existing pipe to have it come out the side at a 45 angle, with a 3inch tip.
I don't have any droning whatsoever with the car.

Impala LS Straight Pipe - YouTube

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Sorry but, that sounds horrible! Not to mention the fact that you reduced back pressure which is very harmful. No backpressure = cold air going back into the block and cracking the block/heads/pistons during cold weather. Not to mention it is likely illegal. Dumping before the rear axle is illegal in most states unless it came factory. Something law enforcement really doesn't like.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have the resonator. And it isn't any louder than a v8 with glass packs and tips. Also, how would it crack the engine components when there is coolant in it. The cats and resonator and the bend in the pipe provide enough back pressure to not cause any damage, otherwise every silverado or f150 with true duels would have a blown engine.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I don't know where you are getting your information, but back pressure isn't even necessary, let alone is there any danger in eliminating it. Why doesn't every engine with open headers just explode?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Fuel injection systems are designed for engines that are muffled and have back pressure therefor, I would recommend having some backpressure.

I have always been told this. I may be wrong though

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fuel injection systems are designed for engines that are muffled and have back pressure therefor, I would recommend having some backpressure.

I have always been told this. I may be wrong though
Your exactly right, I had an 2000 Alero straight piped and it back fired and cracked my piston which caused my car to heat up, and your car will end up not starting. This happened in December 12th of last year.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Backpressure is always unwanted, there is no benifit to having any at all. A properly sized exhaust is important though. Too small of an exhaust creates back pressure which is bad. Too large an exhaust does not promote scavanging of the excess ehaust gasses at lower rpms.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
^This

You have to truly understand the concepts before you can work with them.

Reactions: GTXKen

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ken said it right, :eek:k3:

Reactions: GTXKen
1 - 9 of 9 Posts