Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought a 01 impala yesterday 126,000 miles. Ran great. Then today I went to pull into a parking spot and had to cut it sharp left. Heard a whining noise like PS maybe. Then it. Shut off. Started after 2 attempts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Ok I bought a 01 impala yesterday 126,000 miles. Ran great. Then today I went to pull into a parking spot and had to cut it sharp left. Heard a whining noise like PS maybe. Then it. Shut off. Started after 2 attempts

I suspect you have a dirty throttle body bore. When you turned sharply, that puts a load on the power steering pump and affects the engine idle. If the throttle body bore and blade are dirty, then will not let enough air bypass the blade at idle, causing a stall with a high load. Inspect and clean the inside of the throttle body bore with throttle body spray cleaner (NOT carburetor cleaner).

On a related issue - You did not state which engine your car has. If it is the 3.8L V-6, ensure you check the power steering fluid. The reservoir is on the passenger side, at the firewall side. It is best to remove the coolant reservoir (two speed nuts) and set aside - to reach the pump reservoir lid. It is often VERY dirty, so wipe it down well before removing it to check the fluid level (to prevent debris from falling into the reservoir). If the pump is low on fluid, it can cause the whine and also put an additional load on the engine at slow speeds.

Let us know what you determine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts