Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys can anyone tell me where the blower motor "Relay" is located ? I don't need the resistor location just the relay.

Thanks !!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Hey guys can anyone tell me where the blower motor "Relay" is located ? I don't need the resistor location just the relay.

Thanks !!
Here's a drawing I found for the blower control. The only relay I see anywhere in the circuit is part of the resistor pack.

HTH.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My issue is the blower motor stops working when put on highest setting but works on all other speeds, I even replaced the resistor and still have the same problem that's why im thinking there is a relay somewhere..

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
My issue is the blower motor stops working when put on highest setting but works on all other speeds, I even replaced the resistor and still have the same problem that's why im thinking there is a relay somewhere..
That points back to the switch, but that would be highly unusual.

Take a close look at the connector going to the resistor. Inspect the wires in the back and the pins/contacts as well. Maybe the wire for high isn't making a good connection.

That is, with a volt meter, you should be able to see +12V on pin F at the resistor when the fan switch is on high. If you see 12V there, then you're not getting a good connection to the resistor (or your new resistor is bad). If you're not seeing 12V, then the next step is to trace the wire back to the AC controls, and possibly remove the dash trim cover to get at the AC controls.

Doug

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I turn it to the highest setting, I can hear the resistor make a click sound and the blower turns off.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
When I turn it to the highest setting, I can hear the resistor make a click sound and the blower turns off.
Looking at the drawing, when the relay toggles, it switches power from one fuse to another. On lower settings, the 20A A/C FAN Fuse in the left instrument panel fuse box (end of dash on driver side) supplies power for the fan.

On high, the relay flips and power comes from the 25A HVAC BLO Fuse in the right instrument panel fuse box (end of dash on passenger side). Find that 25A fuse and see if it's blown or good. I'm betting that's your problem.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Is there anything in the fuse blocks in the engine compartment that would be part of that system ?
Here are some more drawings showing the power distribution from the battery to the instrument panel.

2001_impala_battery_dist_CA33LHHX.gif shows three 60A fuses in the top underhood fuse box which feed the dash fuse boxes. One fuse feeds the left instrument panel box and two feed the right. Check those first. But I doubt they are the problem - if one was open, you would probably see lots of other stuff not working.

Next, 2001_impala_AC_fan_CA27G9YN.gif shows a 20A fuse in the left instrument panel fuse box that feeds the HVAC control module. That one should be good since the fan is working on the lower settings.

2001_impala_right_IP_no2_CA49UZYV.gif shows the 25A HVAC BLO fuse which feeds the blower on high. But I think you've checked it already.

2001_impala_left_IP.gif ,
2001_impala_right_IP_no1.gif
2001_impala_right_IP_no3_CALVDTOI.gif

These are included for complete-ness, but I don't think there's anything else there which pertains.

I'd say, at this point, you need to probe the orange wire going to pin F of the resistor and see if it has 12V on it when the fan is set on high.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So I pulled that connector down today and I see that wire G is melted a little where it goes into the connector ! There are 2 orange wires in that connector F & G.. I put my multi meter on them both with the switch on high and got a reading of 11.77 on both. I think I may need to replace that connector any idea where I can get one ?

EDIT : I found one at Rock Auto and just ordered it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just want to follow up with my issue, I have resolved the problem with replacing the wire connector to the resistor. Everything works fine now ! It had melted a little on one wire in the connector and wasn't allowing contact.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts