Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.4 L, I've replaced temp sending unit and the t-stat ( dealer parts), the gauge will float from 125 deg to 225 deg, the coolant temp on a scanner will also float + or - 10 deg. When cars at a idle the temp will goto 220 deg and the fans come on. The car dosen't over heat, but it has a hard start at times, also when it at runing temp 220 deg and you hold the idle to 2500 rpm the temp go's down around 125 degs, Help, let me know if you need more info. Thanx's

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would advise first doing a flush and fill on the radiator. This will remove any built up gunk inside the radiator, and let you inspect the fins for damage. Basically, either dump some autozone cleaner (easier, not the best way) or take the radiator out and shoot some hose water in the radiator in the opposite way of normal flow. You might also want to change your radiator hoses at this time, the pressurized system can't work optimally if the hoses are worn out. Also might wanna get some engine cleaner for the coolant, help any buildup out of your block. Make sure your fan shroud isn't cracked, and if you have two fans that both are working properly. Sometimes one fan will go out, and that will cause major problems. If nothing else, take it to firestone and have them pressure test the cooling system. That will help pinpoint any leaky hoses or loose connectors, and let you know anything else they find.

Easy way to find out if your water pump is bad is with the car running, squeeze the top hose. If there is pressure, then your pump is working. Can't be assured of how long, but for the moment it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts