Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 Impala Police Model with approx 115,000 miles. The car runs and seems to drive fine on a good smooth road, but as soon as I hit a bump or grooved pavement it seems to jerk and shimmy in the rear end. I know the bearings are good, but can't seem to pinpoint where the rest of the problem is. Would trialing arm bushings or rear struts cause this? Any advice would help. Thanks

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I'd start w. the springs/struts, they are recommended to be replace ~70k IIRC
(for the struts, not sure on milage for springs)

KYB GR2's are a good replacement, or if you want a little more performance try the AGXs (adjustable strut), the GR2 ~$60each/AGX ~$130each

·
Registered
358 Posts
way 2 stay on topic!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
(for the struts, not sure on milage for springs)
Why would you need to change the springs?

I have never heard of "life limited" springs on a car.

I only change when they are either weak from overloading, broken, or if I see that they are starting to corrod heavily and/or showing signs of cracking.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Why would you need to change the springs?

I have never heard of "life limited" springs on a car.

I only change when they are either weak from overloading, broken, or if I see that they are starting to corrod heavily and/or showing signs of cracking.

9C1 car, god only knows what kind of abuse it saw while in service, with out seeing the car 1st hand its hard to say anything, I was merely suggesting it as an option, and when you can get a set of Eibachs/SSC springs for ~$200-300 on a 9c1, why not replace w. the struts since you'll need an alignment anyway.. Just my .02

Also if you go aftermarket struts you'll need to buy new strut mounts, and possibly anti pogo washers, not sure how much OEM replacements go for

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
9C1 car, god only knows what kind of abuse it saw while in service, with out seeing the car 1st hand its hard to say anything, I was merely suggesting it as an option, and when you can get a set of Eibachs/SSC springs for ~$200-300 on a 9c1, why not replace w. the struts since you'll need an alignment anyway.. Just my .02

Also if you go aftermarket struts you'll need to buy new strut mounts, and possibly anti pogo washers, not sure how much OEM replacements go for
As a rule of thumb, we replaced the springs in our police cars at 100,000 miles because by then even with "minimal/police chief driving" the cars still suffered hopping curbs,going from street to dirt roads,taking potholes at high speeds as well as speed bumps and other such driving. On the lighter wrong wheel drives the springs seem to be much lighter duty than what GM used to produce.

Replacing them and the struts will provide a day and night affect as far as handling/performance and overall driving comfort.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
9C1 car, god only knows what kind of abuse it saw while in service
As a rule of thumb, we replaced the springs in our police cars at 100,000 miles because by then even with "minimal/police chief driving" the cars still suffered hopping curbs,going from street to dirt roads,taking potholes at high speeds as well as speed bumps and other such driving. On the lighter wrong wheel drives the springs seem to be much lighter duty than what GM used to produce.

Replacing them and the struts will provide a day and night affect as far as handling/performance and overall driving comfort.
Good points, makes sense, thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I replace the rear strut assemblies with quick strut assemblies, and the problem still persists. Any ideas on what to do next? I hate to keep just throwing parts into this car hoping it helps. I assume an alignment shop should be able to pinpoint the problem even further? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Yes an alignment shop should pin point the problem. May be the trailing arm bushings.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Could be crappy tires. On my dad's it acted similar on old tires when he bought it so he replaced them & it went away.. Don't know why, but it was fine on smooth roads, which are hard to find here in Ohio.. but on rough roads it drove like crap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts