Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...burning. Previous clog evap fixed I have been having intermittent problems with the hvac (passenger cabin) fan. The issue first started when running the A/C in the summer, while steering the fan would make a squealing sound. Around the same time the A/C was dripping water on the passenger floor. I had the shop fix the while the car was in for inspection (clogged drain line) and I replaced the passenger cabin air filter at the same time.

Shortly after the A/C dripping was fixed the squealing of the fan started to happen more frequently and not just when I was steering. The one day while the fan was on low speed and the climate control set to vent I smelled an electrical burning smell coming out of the vents. I turned off the fan for the remainder of the drive. When I tried to turn the fan on later Speed 1 (what the fan was set to when the burning smell came out) did not work. However speeds 2-5 worked ok. Soon though the burning smell came back and all speeds of the fan ceased to work.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From your description of number 1 speed not working and the burning smell, I would say it's a bad blower resistor which controls all the low speeds in conjunction with the fan switch. High speed is usually on a separate relay. Possibly test the motor first to verify that it's working ok...run a power jumper wire directly to it.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Something else to check though hopefully not in your case sense you have a airfilter for the cabin is to look for tree leaves on the resister pack. I have had a candy wraper get sucked into the system before. I have also had to clean the leaves out of a pickup too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 Impala. There is a strong electrical burning smell coming from the vents when the heat is blowing. We have pulled the blower motor and resistor, they both look and smell fine. Does anyone have any confirmed fixes for the electric burning smell?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update: It's not just the heat. The smell is still strong when blowing cool outside air. (It's unusually warm this afternoon in Georgia.)

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
I'm still guessing it's the resistor or the wires connected to the resistor/plug.

Is it worse with the fan on high ?

Hook the blower motor to a battery and run it for a while outside the car.
How hot does it get ?
I believe there is a vent/drain hole in it yes ? Good place to have a sniff after it's been running for a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had same issue with my 06 Impala, replaced the resistor and all is good. Only issue is the new one mounts different then original one. (It's been awhile can't rem5what was different) only know I had to plug connector in and hang resistor off to the side. I know there was a fix on how to mount here. Need to look.
giving you a heads up if you run into the same issue. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts