Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are having dash lights come on randomly such as the AirBag, ABS, Trac OFF, Service Trac Control, or Brake lights come on PLEASE READ or DO YOUR RESEARCH. These model cars have common Ignition Switch, BCM, and EBCM issues. Dont let this turn you away from these cars as simple maint and repairs will prevent further damage! A simple failing ignition switch can cause major issues! So, personally I recommend that if you own or plan to own one of these vehicles you have the ignition switch and electrical system tested by a dealer right away. If the dealer or you have any hint that the ignition switch is failing get it replaced, ASAP. If you are willing and have the skills to replace it by yourself you will save atleast 50%. Most shops/dealers charge $200-250 for an ign switch when you can get one for a third of the price. After it is replaced I RECOMMEND blowing into the key slot on the ign with an aircompressor or compressed air atleast twice a year to keep dust, dirt, and grime out.

I hope this helps some people and prevents further headache's :eek:k3:

Reactions: jwpatton

·
Registered
1 Posts
No joke, ignition switch crucial

2000 impala 200K miles. Woke up to no start ...like when you try to start the car and it is in gear. Then after some troubleshooting, went after the IGNITION SWITCH. R&R not too difficult, but the results!!!
For two years I haven't even bothered to signal turns (or use emergency flashers) because of the dashboard light cascade that would result. More recently, battery indicator would blink on for just a moment, cruise control would reset, ABS light always on, engine light on then off, general nonsense.
After changing IGNITION SWITCH, no more dashboard nonsense. Is it true that all of this drama is in the IGNITION SWITCH ? All this time I thought it was the MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH and didn't want to pull the steering wheel to find out. Doesn't make no sense why the turn signal and dashboard would all route through the IGNITION SWITCH. I suspect that the R&R process may have jangled some wires and thereby resolved the indicator light issue, but not sure.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes most of the time the electrical issues are caused by the ignition switch. GM knows this and has never issued a recall. GM lacks in their testing and quality control. Just being honest here

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Why on earth would you pull the steering wheel for the multifunction switch?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^ Didn't catch that the first time around. Hmm got me on that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts