WickedGoat's Build/Maintenance Thread - Page 3 - Chevy Impala Forums

It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Chevy Impala Forums

Go Back   Chevy Impala Forums > General Discussion > Recent Mods/Weekly Updates

Recent Mods/Weekly Updates Done something to your ride lately? Painted or dipped something? Added or Removed anything? Show and Tell here!

User Tag List

Like Tree42Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017   #31 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 12,370
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Thanks: 992
Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,792 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY13LTZ View Post
Hey fellas, Can I ask a question here? I thought that when the Rosen units were installed if they access the steering wheel controls don't they also access the GM installed mic for the OnStar and Bluetooth as well? My wife says that when I call her from the car that the call quality is great and she hears me just fine.
Unfortunately, no - they definitely do not use the built-in GM mic. On the GM1010, there are 2 little holes labeled "Mic" - that is what the GM1010 uses for phone calls. Maybe it was actually just my crappy cell phone at that time (meaning that the issues were more reception-related than mic-related). Since I don't even use bluetooth streaming, I actually disabled the Rosen bluetooth and use the stock bluetooth since it allows voice dialing, etc. But even with that, I VERY rarely use my phone while in the car. Mainly just if someone happens to call me - and even then, it's usually a VERY brief call.

So maybe the GM1010 MIC quality is acceptable - maybe it was just the crappy phone that I had at the time.

And like I said, the GM1210 does have an internal MIC, but most places (such as ADC Mobile) *highly* recommend using the included external MIC (for sound quality reasons).

This would be easy enough to confirm - the next time you use the phone while in the car, hold your hand over the GM mic and see if the person on the other side can still hear you. But it's my understanding that they do NOT use the GM mic...

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk

jtrosky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
NY13LTZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Putnam County,NY
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY13LTZ View Post
Hey fellas, Can I ask a question here? I thought that when the Rosen units were installed if they access the steering wheel controls don't they also access the GM installed mic for the OnStar and Bluetooth as well? My wife says that when I call her from the car that the call quality is great and she hears me just fine.
Unfortunately, no - they definitely do not use the built-in GM mic. On the GM1010, there are 2 little holes labeled "Mic" - that is what the GM1010 uses for phone calls. Maybe it was actually just my crappy cell phone at that time (meaning that the issues were more reception-related than mic-related). Since I don't even use bluetooth streaming, I actually disabled the Rosen bluetooth and use the stock bluetooth since it allows voice dialing, etc. But even with that, I VERY rarely use my phone while in the car. Mainly just if someone happens to call me - and even then, it's usually a VERY brief call.

So maybe the GM1010 MIC quality is acceptable - maybe it was just the crappy phone that I had at the time.

And like I said, the GM1210 does have an internal MIC, but most places (such as ADC Mobile) *highly* recommend using the included external MIC (for sound quality reasons).

This would be easy enough to confirm - the next time you use the phone while in the car, hold your hand over the GM mic and see if the person on the other side can still hear you. But it's my understanding that they do NOT use the GM mic...

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk
In my car I didn't link up with Rosen unit because I don't Bluetooth stream anything anyway. I still link up via the GM system that comes up on my cell phone as "Your Vehicle" like I always have. The Rosen requests to link via Bluetooth but I always decline. Maybe that's why my call quality hasn't declined.

NY13LTZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017   #33 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 12,370
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Thanks: 992
Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,792 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY13LTZ View Post
In my car I didn't link up with Rosen unit because I don't Bluetooth stream anything anyway. I still link up via the GM system that comes up on my cell phone as "Your Vehicle" like I always have. The Rosen requests to link via Bluetooth but I always decline. Maybe that's why my call quality hasn't declined.
Ahh - ok - yeah, that explains it. You're still using the stock bluetooth system, which DOES use the GM mic. You only use the Rosen mic if you are using the Rosen bluetooth.

Most people use the Rosen bluetooth because they want the ability to stream via bluetooth.

You should be able to completely disable the Rosen bluetooth in order to stop that Rosen link request. It's in the hidden installer menu (7253 on the keypad in settings).

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk

jtrosky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
WickedGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lebanon, MO
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Thanks: 31
Thanked 85 Times in 77 Posts
Garage
I didn't hook up the Rosen mic to the stereo because I read in several places that you could use the GM mic instead. However, you do have to choose between the Rosen Parrot system or the the stock GM system. I also read that the steering wheel controls do not work with the Rosen BT. So far I have only set the system to work with the Rosen BT and have paired my phone to it. I called my house line from it and the answering machine came through fine, just don't know how my voice sounds on the other side. My contacts transferred to the Rosen but I don't like how it did it... It put them in alphabetical order by last name, not first name like my Droid Turbo does. It also lists mobile as office for the number label. Don't know if this is Rosen or the Motorola Droid Turbo being stupid. Not a big deal but kind of a minor wtf thing.

I just need more time to play around with the stereo and get to know it. Nowadays these things come with so many features you really need to just sit in the car undisturbed and just play with it... Wait, that didn't sound right...

__________________
2014 Chevy Impala LTZ Limited
- My daily driver... 5% Window Tint, Rosen GM1210 Stereo, Polk Audio Components and 6x9s, Pioneer, Kenwood amps and sub, Addco Rear Sway Bar, ZZP Strut Tower Braces, LED fogs and low beams, back up and interior lighting, SS dash, stereo and shifter trim.
2004 Pontiac GTO
- Garage queen from day 1... bought brand new 12/31/04... Quick Silver Metallic/Black/6 speed... too much to list
2004 GMC Yukon SLT
- Wife's DD... bone freakin stock
WickedGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017   #35 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 12,370
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Thanks: 992
Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,792 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedGoat View Post
I didn't hook up the Rosen mic to the stereo because I read in several places that you could use the GM mic instead. However, you do have to choose between the Rosen Parrot system or the the stock GM system. I also read that the steering wheel controls do not work with the Rosen BT. So far I have only set the system to work with the Rosen BT and have paired my phone to it. I called my house line from it and the answering machine came through fine, just don't know how my voice sounds on the other side. My contacts transferred to the Rosen but I don't like how it did it... It put them in alphabetical order by last name, not first name like my Droid Turbo does. It also lists mobile as office for the number label. Don't know if this is Rosen or the Motorola Droid Turbo being stupid. Not a big deal but kind of a minor wtf thing.

I just need more time to play around with the stereo and get to know it. Nowadays these things come with so many features you really need to just sit in the car undisturbed and just play with it... Wait, that didn't sound right...
The only way to use the built-in GM mic is if you are using the stock bluetooth system. If you are using the Rosen bluetooth, you have to use the Rosen mic (either the internal or external on the GM1210 - or internal only on GM1010).

The GM1210 may be better in this respect, but I do remember the quality not being great for the person on the other end with the built-in internal mic on the GM1010.

Interested to hear what you find out after testing more. I know that ADC Mobile *highly* recommends the external MIC on the GM1210 though. Check out ADC Mobiles site - they are considered the "go to" vendor for the Rosen GM1210 and the Advent OGM-1.

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk

jtrosky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
WickedGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lebanon, MO
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Thanks: 31
Thanked 85 Times in 77 Posts
Garage
Got a chance to play with the stereo some more. In the BT settings, you can choose between using the built in mic or the external mic for use with the Rosen BT. So it is either stock GM bluetooth, which will work with the steering wheel controls, or the Rosen Parrot BT which I assume does not work with the factory steering wheel controls as stated. I haven't tried it yet to confirm. And as already stated, the Rosen BT will upload your contacts from the phone to the stereo. The stereo is not perfect, but it works for me, well enough that I have zero desire to look at a Pioneer, Kenwood or anything else. If this one were to die on me, I would most likely buy another 1210, probably brand new. I don't see anyone else making a stereo like this with 100% compatibility in mind for this era of GM vehicles.

WickedGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017   #37 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 12,370
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Thanks: 992
Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,792 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedGoat View Post
Got a chance to play with the stereo some more. In the BT settings, you can choose between using the built in mic or the external mic for use with the Rosen BT. So it is either stock GM bluetooth, which will work with the steering wheel controls, or the Rosen Parrot BT which I assume does not work with the factory steering wheel controls as stated. I haven't tried it yet to confirm. And as already stated, the Rosen BT will upload your contacts from the phone to the stereo. The stereo is not perfect, but it works for me, well enough that I have zero desire to look at a Pioneer, Kenwood or anything else. If this one were to die on me, I would most likely buy another 1210, probably brand new. I don't see anyone else making a stereo like this with 100% compatibility in mind for this era of GM vehicles.
I agree that while these Rosens are definitely not perfect, between the fact that they integrate so well with stock functions, look factory-installed (which was kind of a big thing for me) and are plug-and-play, they really are hard to beat for the prices that you can get them for. And from my experience with the GM1010, they are pretty damn reliable as well.

You also have to remember that these things were designed years ago whereas the big name brands release new models every year - so considering how long ago these things were designed, they are pretty impressive - especially for the price (price matters!). Plus you got the whole dual-zone thing too, which is a nice bonus. You'll get used to the little quirks and figure out work-arounds to them.

Personally, I also like the "understated" interface. I'm not a big fan of the flashing, multi-colored lights thing that most aftermarket brands do...

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk

jtrosky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
WickedGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lebanon, MO
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Thanks: 31
Thanked 85 Times in 77 Posts
Garage
I agree... I didn't care for the Kenwood I bought at Crutchfield. Had I paid full retail back when it first came out I would have been pretty mad at myself. I like the understated look as well. When I do something with the wood grain it will look even better in there. I like the Rosen and I have no problem recommending it to anyone.

__________________
2014 Chevy Impala LTZ Limited
- My daily driver... 5% Window Tint, Rosen GM1210 Stereo, Polk Audio Components and 6x9s, Pioneer, Kenwood amps and sub, Addco Rear Sway Bar, ZZP Strut Tower Braces, LED fogs and low beams, back up and interior lighting, SS dash, stereo and shifter trim.
2004 Pontiac GTO
- Garage queen from day 1... bought brand new 12/31/04... Quick Silver Metallic/Black/6 speed... too much to list
2004 GMC Yukon SLT
- Wife's DD... bone freakin stock
WickedGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mwilson62000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 231
Thanked 257 Times in 176 Posts
Garage
Glad your enjoying your "new" 1210. Had mine for a while now and love it. I would recommend using the external mic if using the Rosen BT. Much better quality. Ive had no complaints of voice quality. I put the mic at the rear view mirror. As for the obnoxious chime, one option is to wrap it in foam. I wrapped mine with quite a bit of foam and put it in the space to the right of the radio down low. Door chime volume is bearable now. Signal volume is low.
Revo2Maxx2016 and WickedGoat like this.

__________________
2012 LT - Silver Ice Metallic
mwilson62000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
WickedGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lebanon, MO
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Thanks: 31
Thanked 85 Times in 77 Posts
Garage
My wife took my car and paired her phone up with the stereo and both people she talked to said her voice was pretty clear. I may install the external mic and try it to see if there is a difference.

Back up cam is coming soon, probably sometime next month.

Burned my first DVD today and played it in the car... Rocking and rolling now. Gonna sound worlds better when I upgrade the speakers and get my sub going. The radio is great, aside from a couple of quirky issues, I am happy with it. My wife wants one in her 2004 Yukon. Anyone know if one of the older Rosen units will work in that truck?

__________________
2014 Chevy Impala LTZ Limited
- My daily driver... 5% Window Tint, Rosen GM1210 Stereo, Polk Audio Components and 6x9s, Pioneer, Kenwood amps and sub, Addco Rear Sway Bar, ZZP Strut Tower Braces, LED fogs and low beams, back up and interior lighting, SS dash, stereo and shifter trim.
2004 Pontiac GTO
- Garage queen from day 1... bought brand new 12/31/04... Quick Silver Metallic/Black/6 speed... too much to list
2004 GMC Yukon SLT
- Wife's DD... bone freakin stock
WickedGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
WickedGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lebanon, MO
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Thanks: 31
Thanked 85 Times in 77 Posts
Garage
Like my tips?



Got them welded on today...





They could be a little bigger, but since I got these for free 3 years ago and paid $20 to install them, why not? Looks better than the boring stock look.

__________________
2014 Chevy Impala LTZ Limited
- My daily driver... 5% Window Tint, Rosen GM1210 Stereo, Polk Audio Components and 6x9s, Pioneer, Kenwood amps and sub, Addco Rear Sway Bar, ZZP Strut Tower Braces, LED fogs and low beams, back up and interior lighting, SS dash, stereo and shifter trim.
2004 Pontiac GTO
- Garage queen from day 1... bought brand new 12/31/04... Quick Silver Metallic/Black/6 speed... too much to list
2004 GMC Yukon SLT
- Wife's DD... bone freakin stock
WickedGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
NY13LTZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Putnam County,NY
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
Looking mighty sharp! May just have to get mine done!

NY13LTZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
WickedGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lebanon, MO
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Thanks: 31
Thanked 85 Times in 77 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY13LTZ View Post
Looking mighty sharp! May just have to get mine done!
Do it to it!! The inside diameter on mine is 2.5" and the outer is 3". I would definitely go bigger, within reason to fill the gap better.
David3800 likes this.

__________________
2014 Chevy Impala LTZ Limited
- My daily driver... 5% Window Tint, Rosen GM1210 Stereo, Polk Audio Components and 6x9s, Pioneer, Kenwood amps and sub, Addco Rear Sway Bar, ZZP Strut Tower Braces, LED fogs and low beams, back up and interior lighting, SS dash, stereo and shifter trim.
2004 Pontiac GTO
- Garage queen from day 1... bought brand new 12/31/04... Quick Silver Metallic/Black/6 speed... too much to list
2004 GMC Yukon SLT
- Wife's DD... bone freakin stock
WickedGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017   #44 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 12,370
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Thanks: 992
Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,792 Posts
Garage
Looks great! Another simple, inexpensive upgrade to these cars. You can even get these things at walmart for like $12 each. I've had my Walmart versions on my car for a few years now and they still look good.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
David3800 and WickedGoat like this.

jtrosky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
David3800 (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
NY13LTZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Putnam County,NY
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
I'm going to do the tips after seeing how great they look on this thread but I think I'm going to add a set of Flowmaster series 44 mufflers for a little punch out back.

NY13LTZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Wiring Diagrams Thread battleship7 Mechanical and Electrical Problems 10 12-07-2018 08:28 AM
2016impalalt's build/mod thread 2016impalalt Recent Mods/Weekly Updates 15 06-04-2018 12:05 PM
Not Receiving eMail Notifications of Thread Replies JerseyHarold Impala Forum Site Issue Forum 1 11-13-2017 07:46 AM

» Recent Discussions
Auto Dimming Mirror Help
10-24-2017 03:01 PM
Last post by Pdmorris1$
2 Hours Ago 11:14 AM
9 Replies, 1,665 Views
Help!!! Throttle body
3 Days Ago 09:44 AM
Last post by plano-doug
5 Hours Ago 08:13 AM
27 Replies, 173 Views
Word Association
02-10-2011 07:15 PM
Last post by kbz1960
5 Hours Ago 07:37 AM
33 Replies, 802,135 Views
Fuel issues
04-26-2019 02:07 PM
Last post by Joes74challenger
7 Hours Ago 06:00 AM
12 Replies, 297 Views
Understanding the...
1 Day Ago 10:48 PM
by RShea
Last post by hatzie
12 Hours Ago 01:17 AM
8 Replies, 99 Views
Finally went LED on the...
4 Weeks Ago 05:53 PM
Last post by Tesla
1 Day Ago 10:09 AM
32 Replies, 950 Views
2005 3.8 wide open...
1 Week Ago 06:50 AM
Last post by Ranger Rick
1 Day Ago 05:55 AM
6 Replies, 191 Views
What did you do to your...
09-25-2012 07:03 AM
by Joe
Last post by Stockcar10
2 Days Ago 10:17 AM
7 Replies, 415,250 Views
1977 impala street...
04-03-2018 08:19 AM
Last post by Stockcar10
2 Days Ago 10:14 AM
43 Replies, 1,591 Views
1977 impala th400 swap
03-01-2018 09:01 AM
Last post by Stockcar10
2 Days Ago 09:19 AM
27 Replies, 917 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
This site is not affiliated nor endorsed by General Motors Corp. Chevy Impala and related trademarks are the property of General Motors Corp.