My garage has been a nightmare for a while, but I'm finally digging out. Four used struts and five old axles all went to the dumpster this week along with two control arms and an oil pan
The thinking is to get everything off the floor that's not on castors. Many of the items in there are already mobile - most things can be easily moved around to re-configure the space for different projects. Alas, so much crap has been accumulated that that was no longer an option - there wasn't any open space left
So the idea is to go vertical - stack things up to get them off the floor.
In the pic, these two items have been in the shop for a long time, piled high with junk, but mobile because they're on wheels. The idea came to me that I could pile them even higher with more junk if I added some shelves on top
The two kitchen cabinets on the left were a gift from a neighbor. I think they were demo units he'd gotten from a showroom when it cleared out for newer models. I had already mounted them on some ¾" plywood with castors, and topped it off with more ¾" plywood. Likewise, the two red Craftsman chests were already joined and equipped with castors, too.
The goal was to take my overflowing pile of lumber and make some lightweight shelves for these two units. Ideally, I would use all on-hand materials - no trips to the store, no more $$$ spent.
I had several 6' long 1x12's that were salvaged from the trash pile - some neighbor had set these out for pickup, and I picked them up
For construction grade, they were fairly nice - straight, flat, with only a few knots, and most of those were tight.
Also on hand was some 1" oriented strand board (OSB) and some ½" plywood, along with a large stash of fasteners, glue, sandpaper, etc.
The shelves are a mix of the 1x12's, OSB and ½" plywood - whatever was handy - this is the opposite of fine cabinetry
On the right, you can see each shelf is a different material type
The 1x12's were ripped into a mix of 1x1's and 1x1.5's for cleats, as well as some 1x2's and 1x2.5's for the uprights.
1.25" drywall screws and glue hold the cleats to the verticals. More drywall screws mount one shelving unit to the kitchen cabinets while some ¼-20 screws were used to mount the other shelving unit to the red tool chests.
The peg board was mounted with the white side in which makes it easier to see inside. And it provides diagonal bracing for the shelves. Plus, with the peg board, it's easy to hang things on the outside.
When it was all said and done, I had to make two purchases - I ran out of 1.25" drywall screws, and some fender washers were needed for the red Craftsman chests.
So I'm out of pocket less than 10 bucks, plus I cleaned out a good chunk from the wood pile as well.
And now I can walk thru the garage without fear of tripping over something. I might can even get a car in here again