Rapid turn signal, works when struck on brake lgt - Chevy Impala Forums
Mechanical and Electrical Problems Having problems with your Chevy Impala? Discuss it here.

User Tag List

 9Likes
  • 4 Post By plano-doug
  • 2 Post By plano-doug
  • 1 Post By kbz1960
  • 2 Post By 12 lt
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Joe Needs Advice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rapid turn signal, works when struck on brake lgt

Hello. The right turn signal on my 2008 Chevy Impala 3.5L LT began
blinking very rapidly, and I noticed my rear right brake light was out. After examining the bulbs and wiring, nothing seemed amiss. In
frustration I thumped the car near the brake light with the palm of my hand and it started working. It now reverts to the quick blinking, I assume when the ride is rough and whatever the problem is shakes loose, and again, if I thump it over the left brake light, it corrects itself... Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!
Joe Needs Advice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
12 lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 980
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Thanks: 68
Thanked 83 Times in 78 Posts
Garage
Possible bad multiswitch. Seen them do some crazy and erratic stuff on some vehicles with blinkers and wipers.

My 6 year constantly asks why. What adults can learn from 5 and 6 year olds, to listen with your ears and mind open. Hard to learn when you don't listen ......
12 lt is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
plano-doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Thanks: 130
Thanked 344 Times in 320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Needs Advice View Post
Hello. The right turn signal on my 2008 Chevy Impala 3.5L LT began
blinking very rapidly, and I noticed my rear right brake light was out. After examining the bulbs and wiring, nothing seemed amiss. In
frustration I thumped the car near the brake light with the palm of my hand and it started working. It now reverts to the quick blinking, I assume when the ride is rough and whatever the problem is shakes loose, and again, if I thump it over the left brake light, it corrects itself... Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!
I'm getting confused - which bulb is intermittent?

If a thump fixes it, that is indeed some sort of a bad connection. Could be a loose wire, a failing bulb or a bad socket. We haven't seen bad tail light sockets (but we've seen a few bad headlight sockets). I'm guessing you have a bad bulb. The filaments can break on one end, and intermittently connect, such as after a thump. I replaced one within the past two weeks doing just that. When I pulled it out to inspect, I could see the loose filament.

Usually, they will eventually break off and fail completely.

I'd try a new bulb and see if the problem stays gone or comes back. That's the easiest/cheapest thing to do.

HTH.

Doug

.
sheila, 1954 Chevy, 12 lt and 1 others like this.

_

If your socket set is all the same brand, you might be a city slicker.

.
plano-doug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
plano-doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Thanks: 130
Thanked 344 Times in 320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 lt View Post
Possible bad multiswitch. Seen them do some crazy and erratic stuff on some vehicles with blinkers and wipers.
I agree, the mulitswitch and also the emergency flasher switch can cause some weird behavior, but the result of thumping the light makes me focus there first.

Doug

.
sheila and 12 lt like this.

_

If your socket set is all the same brand, you might be a city slicker.

.
plano-doug is offline  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
kbz1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Thanks: 28
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plano-doug View Post
I'm getting confused - which bulb is intermittent?



If a thump fixes it, that is indeed some sort of a bad connection. Could be a loose wire, a failing bulb or a bad socket. We haven't seen bad tail light sockets (but we've seen a few bad headlight sockets). I'm guessing you have a bad bulb. The filaments can break on one end, and intermittently connect, such as after a thump. I replaced one within the past two weeks doing just that. When I pulled it out to inspect, I could see the loose filament.



Usually, they will eventually break off and fail completely.



I'd try a new bulb and see if the problem stays gone or comes back. That's the easiest/cheapest thing to do.



HTH.



Doug



.
My Mercury I had would flash rapidly if a bulb was out. Replace burnt bulb and back to normal.

I'd try the bulb first also.
plano-doug likes this.
kbz1960 is online now  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
12 lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 980
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Thanks: 68
Thanked 83 Times in 78 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by plano-doug View Post
I agree, the mulitswitch and also the emergency flasher switch can cause some weird behavior, but the result of thumping the light makes me focus there first.

Doug

.
Read that and somehow missed retaining the thumping part, have our month old granddaughter here, focus issues. lol.

Agree that with the thumping or wiggling the bulbs it would be in the bulb/bulb holder/wiring at the socket.
plano-doug and 1954 Chevy like this.

My 6 year constantly asks why. What adults can learn from 5 and 6 year olds, to listen with your ears and mind open. Hard to learn when you don't listen ......
12 lt is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
sheila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Thanks: 309
Thanked 294 Times in 230 Posts
^+1. Sure sounds like intermittent filament contact.
sheila is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Related Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Motor Trunk Tail Flow LED Strip Light Reverse Brake Turn Signal Running Lamp RSS Bot Impala Diecast Toys Cars on eBay 0 03-29-2019 04:41 AM
2000 Impala LS turn signal problem dandyd Chevy Impala 7th Gen Discussion 1 10-15-2018 05:53 PM
Turn signal woes daytonboi Chevy Impala 8th Gen Discussion 3 03-30-2018 07:34 AM
60" Red/white Tailgate LED Strip Light Bar Truck Reverse Brake Turn Signal Tail RSS Bot Impala Diecast Toys Cars on eBay 0 08-16-2017 12:50 PM
60" Red/white Tailgate LED Strip Light Bar Truck Reverse Brake Turn Signal Tail RSS Bot Impala Diecast Toys Cars on eBay 0 07-27-2017 09:40 AM


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome