2015 Impala LTZ vs 2008 Impala SS - Chevy Impala Forums
Impala Reviews Have some thoughts about your Impala? Let us know!

User Tag List

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jtrosky
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2018 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
YaboyPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Racine,WI
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
2015 Impala LTZ vs 2008 Impala SS

I was hoping someone could tell me a little bit about both cars. I currently have a 2008 impala LT and am looking to upgrade soon. I'm currently stuck between deciding between these two models. I really want a V8. I was thinking of getting a charger R/T. But I love my impala. I know people complain about the tranny on the SS failing. I've done a little research and people have been complaining about the tranny on the Impala since the 2005 models. My LT is currently at about 234,000 miles and I've never had any transmission issues and I ride it hard (for what it is). I figure though since the SS has the V8 people have probably beat the piss out of them. I dont want to risk buying one just to have the tranny fail 10,000 miles later. The SS currently has 84,000 miles for an asking price of $10,900. Meanwhile I've been looking at newer impala models and I really like the outside and inside style. I worry about upgrading audio in the newer models but other than that I personally love them. I've found a really nice matte black LTZ with only 30,000 miles on it for $23,000. So Id appreciate anyone who could tell me personal experience with either. SS reliability or lack there of. Also a little bit about how powerful the new V6 Impalas are. Thanks for reading.
YaboyPhil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2018
Super Moderator
 
jtrosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 12,403
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Thanks: 992
Thanked 2,305 Times in 1,801 Posts
Garage
The new V6 is about the same horsepower as the V8 Impala SS. Before I'd but an 8th gen SS, I'd buy a 2012+ 8th gen with the 300hp V6. It has similar power to the SS but a much better trans (the 6-speed). No, it'll never have that V8 "rumble", but it's still a quick car for what it is. The V8 does have more torque as well. But between the better gas mileage and the more reliable trans, I'd go with the 2012+ V6. You can get a 2012+ 8th gen for about the same price as SS 8th gen - and it's much newer and with less miles.

If you decide on a 9th gen, it has the same engine and trans as the 2012+ 8th gens, but it's significantly more expensive. The 9th gens have a nicer interior, but less options if you want to upgrade your audio (since that is important to you).

Just some things to think about...
2014LTDLTZ likes this.
jtrosky is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2018
Senior Member
 
12 lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Thanks: 71
Thanked 85 Times in 80 Posts
Garage
I would not pay that much for a used impala. Honestly think the 23 grand price tag for a 4 model year old car with 30,000 miles is a bit high, but then that is not what you are asking. I wanted an 8th gen SS, but things just never really worked out. When the time did finally come for things to work out I did my research. The lfx engines and the 12 model was just the ticket and a good compromise to the SS. These six speeds and the 3.6 v-6's in the 8th gens in my experience are solid. I have driven our 12 hard at times, but usually have kids in the car and so more easy for the majority of the time, and my wife drives the car more these days than I do. Plenty of pep, gets to sixty pretty darned quick, and gets GREAT mpg for a 300+hp 4 door car, we average better than 25.6 mpg. We are closing in on 150,000 miles on ours now and the only issues(knock on wood) have been the front hubs, easy enough to change and only about $100 for genuine gm replacements. Dunno much about the 9th gens, wife had a couple of them for her work company cars for a few months and they did ride nice and performance wise she said they were comparable to our 2012. The 9th gens do have more interior space in the back, was not an issue when we bought our 12, but since my kids have aged 6 more years and I am 6'2", the space for the person sitting behind me in our 8th gen has gotten a little cramped. The 9th gens are more roomy in the back, no doubt about that. Far as aftermarket premium audio upgrades, sure if you got the money to put into a decent system that you could have one put in, but that is with no first hand experience with them.

My 6 year constantly asks why. What adults can learn from 5 and 6 year olds, to listen with your ears and mind open. Hard to learn when you don't listen ......
12 lt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2018
Senior Member
 
Joes74challenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Thanks: 30
Thanked 122 Times in 118 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaboyPhil View Post
I was hoping someone could tell me a little bit about both cars. I currently have a 2008 impala LT and am looking to upgrade soon. I'm currently stuck between deciding between these two models. I really want a V8. I was thinking of getting a charger R/T. But I love my impala. I know people complain about the tranny on the SS failing. I've done a little research and people have been complaining about the tranny on the Impala since the 2005 models. My LT is currently at about 234,000 miles and I've never had any transmission issues and I ride it hard (for what it is). I figure though since the SS has the V8 people have probably beat the piss out of them. I dont want to risk buying one just to have the tranny fail 10,000 miles later. The SS currently has 84,000 miles for an asking price of $10,900. Meanwhile I've been looking at newer impala models and I really like the outside and inside style. I worry about upgrading audio in the newer models but other than that I personally love them. I've found a really nice matte black LTZ with only 30,000 miles on it for $23,000. So Id appreciate anyone who could tell me personal experience with either. SS reliability or lack there of. Also a little bit about how powerful the new V6 Impalas are. Thanks for reading.
Those two cars aren't in the same realm. that 5.7 hemi with a diablo sport tuner runs well (drove an old MI state police cruiser with one, it was a blast). however a 20-40k mile charger scat pack is the better fun machine. just depends on what you want. gas mileage and 300hp and can go through the snow, get an impala. want a rear wheel drive car with a bullet proof 8 speed auto/paddle shifters, then get the charger. oh yeah 6.4 liter and a 9k supercharger installed from the east coast puts you in hellcat power range....

personally i'm looking at the scat pack challenger in the near future....2010 impala for the "winter beater".
Joes74challenger is offline  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2018 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
YaboyPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Racine,WI
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes74challenger View Post
Those two cars aren't in the same realm. that 5.7 hemi with a diablo sport tuner runs well (drove an old MI state police cruiser with one, it was a blast). however a 20-40k mile charger scat pack is the better fun machine. just depends on what you want. gas mileage and 300hp and can go through the snow, get an impala. want a rear wheel drive car with a bullet proof 8 speed auto/paddle shifters, then get the charger. oh yeah 6.4 liter and a 9k supercharger installed from the east coast puts you in hellcat power range....

personally i'm looking at the scat pack challenger in the near future....2010 impala for the "winter beater".
Actually an R/T and Impala are not that far apart. Its a drivers race. With the Impala SS or the new V6's it all depends on the driver of the R/T. Even if they master the launch its still gonna be very close. Distance on a race would be a big factor too. From a stop the Impala will get the jump but the longer the race the more ground the R/T will cover. Personally I would love to own at least a scat pack. But a Hellcat would be the dream. Or just a Chevy SS. Those things are bad ass. Its a wolf in sheep's clothing. But I'm fresh out of college so neither are gonna be in the "cards" for quite some time.
YaboyPhil is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2018
Senior Member
 
Joes74challenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Thanks: 30
Thanked 122 Times in 118 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaboyPhil View Post
Actually an R/T and Impala are not that far apart. Its a drivers race. With the Impala SS or the new V6's it all depends on the driver of the R/T. Even if they master the launch its still gonna be very close. Distance on a race would be a big factor too. From a stop the Impala will get the jump but the longer the race the more ground the R/T will cover. Personally I would love to own at least a scat pack. But a Hellcat would be the dream. Or just a Chevy SS. Those things are bad ass. Its a wolf in sheep's clothing. But I'm fresh out of college so neither are gonna be in the "cards" for quite some time.
having just had the trans in my 2010 rebuilt and knowing that trans is a weak link, i'd go 2012 or newer to get the better trans. there's no way i'd buy anything older than 2012 knowing the trans issues i have had/read about now. the v8 8th gens get an "hd trans" but it's the same trans as the v6 with "upgraded parts". i talked to my shop about using those parts with the v6 but they wanted 450 for the upgrade, so knowing the parts weren't going to resolve the typical issues i elected to keep it close to stock.

if you already owned the car and needed a rebuild that's a whole different story. for me it was worth the rebuild vs the car payment. going into a different car, why choose the car that has a known trans defect when you can just as easily get something newer with better mileage for close to the same power. 9th gen body gets better rear seat room and newer looks as well.
Joes74challenger is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2018 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
YaboyPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Racine,WI
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I've heard alot of complaints about transmissions ever since the 2005 models. I honestly think most of that is people neglecting and then not taking care of the car. I currently have a 2008 LT. I like the 2012's and up simply for the fact that they have 300,305 hp. My only issue is like someone on here previously stated. Most of the Impalas near me are high mileage high price. The MSRP for a 2015 LTZ fully loaded (Bose Audio,Sunroof,Leather,Etc...) Was lets say $30,000. Well near me I could get one with 30,000 miles is usually the lowest mileage for around $22,000. So its high mileage high price. Its the same reason I dont want a Charger right now (2015 charger withe beats audio is $23,000 for 40,000 miles).
YaboyPhil is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2018 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
YaboyPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Racine,WI
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 lt View Post
I would not pay that much for a used impala. Honestly think the 23 grand price tag for a 4 model year old car with 30,000 miles is a bit high, but then that is not what you are asking. I wanted an 8th gen SS, but things just never really worked out. When the time did finally come for things to work out I did my research. The lfx engines and the 12 model was just the ticket and a good compromise to the SS. These six speeds and the 3.6 v-6's in the 8th gens in my experience are solid. I have driven our 12 hard at times, but usually have kids in the car and so more easy for the majority of the time, and my wife drives the car more these days than I do. Plenty of pep, gets to sixty pretty darned quick, and gets GREAT mpg for a 300+hp 4 door car, we average better than 25.6 mpg. We are closing in on 150,000 miles on ours now and the only issues(knock on wood) have been the front hubs, easy enough to change and only about $100 for genuine gm replacements. Dunno much about the 9th gens, wife had a couple of them for her work company cars for a few months and they did ride nice and performance wise she said they were comparable to our 2012. The 9th gens do have more interior space in the back, was not an issue when we bought our 12, but since my kids have aged 6 more years and I am 6'2", the space for the person sitting behind me in our 8th gen has gotten a little cramped. The 9th gens are more roomy in the back, no doubt about that. Far as aftermarket premium audio upgrades, sure if you got the money to put into a decent system that you could have one put in, but that is with no first hand experience with them.
I think its a high price too. Unfortunately there are not to many options around me. I would love to buy privately but it seems that dealerships are going to be the only way to get the car. That was one of the better cars I could find. everything else is high mileage for around the same price.
YaboyPhil is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2018
Junior Member
 
Lew's LTZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dont know much about the 2008 SS. In regards to the 2015 2LTZ, I still love this car since the day I bought it. I have have done the usual modifications; debadging, tint, and painted to match mud flaps and trim. My favorite upgrades are the throttle body and air intake from overkill motorsports. The overkill upgrades give the car a nice roar and a little boost without damaging anything. Plus the kids with the v6 camaros get thrown back by the sound.

If you really want the V8 look up 2011-2013 Chevy Caprice. You can find them mostly on ebay as used police vehicles with low miles. This will be my next chevy.
Lew's LTZ is offline  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2018
TSS
Administrator

 
TSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,726
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,848
Thanked 1,748 Times in 999 Posts
I'm late to this party, but having owned a 2009 Super Sport with every available option, and a 2014 LTZ limited every available option, for a whole variety of reasons, I would choose the limited.

2009 Impala SS (sold 3/2012)
2014 Impala Limited LTZ 3.6 V6(traded 7/2019

2017 Cadillac XTS Platinum V Sport 3.6TT AWD
2017 Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2010 Lincoln MKS AWD V6 Twin Turbo, Livernois Motor Sports tuned, 0-60 in 3.94 seconds , 1/4 mile 12.80 @ 104 MPH




"Trying Times Are Not a Good Time To Quit Trying"
TSS is offline  
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2018 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
YaboyPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Racine,WI
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I looked at the Caprice PPV's a couple months ago. Cool cars. They actually have quite a few by me on craigslist. But they're all from Chicago PD. So they all have high idle time. Plus if you ever look up the repair cost for the cars its insane. Some departments dropped the cars completely because even minor damage cost way too much compared to the chargers or crown vics.
YaboyPhil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Related Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buick Lucerne Super FE4 Struts on Impala SS and other suspension mods. hatzie 8th Gen Suspension 8 06-12-2019 07:19 AM
Engine Air Filter 2012 2013 CHEVY IMPALA LS LT LTZ 2014 2015 2016 IMPALA LIMITED RSS Bot Impala Diecast Toys Cars on eBay 0 03-07-2018 09:20 AM
Engine Air Filter 2012 2013 CHEVY IMPALA LS LT LTZ 2014 2015 2016 IMPALA LIMITED RSS Bot Impala Diecast Toys Cars on eBay 0 01-23-2018 02:50 PM
Engine Air Filter 2012 2013 CHEVY IMPALA LS LT LTZ 2014 2015 2016 IMPALA LIMITED RSS Bot Impala Diecast Toys Cars on eBay 0 11-29-2017 06:10 AM


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome